NT Child Protection Workers Stood Down Over Kumanjayi Little Baby Case
NT Workers Stood Down Over Kumanjayi Little Baby Case

Three child protection workers in the Northern Territory have been stood down pending an investigation into their handling of welfare notifications related to the case of Kumanjayi Little Baby, a five-year-old Warlpiri girl whose death has sparked widespread outrage. The minister for child protection, Robyn Cahill, confirmed the workers were stood down on Wednesday morning while an inquiry examines ‘actions taken, or not taken’ in relation to the case.

Background of the Case

Kumanjayi Little Baby, a name used in accordance with cultural tradition after her death, was reported missing by her mother in the early hours of Sunday, 26 April, approximately two hours after being put to bed at the Old Timers/Ilyperenye town camp in Alice Springs. Her disappearance triggered a massive five-day search involving police and more than 300 volunteers. Her body was discovered on Thursday, 30 April, about five kilometres from where she was last seen. Jefferson Lewis, 47, has been charged with her murder and other offences.

Investigation into Child Protection Actions

A spokesperson for Minister Cahill stated that the workers were stood down while an investigation is underway into their handling of the case. Cahill earlier told News Corp that she had asked her department about the girl’s case and was initially told ‘there was nothing to see here.’ However, after requesting a detailed briefing, she said ‘there was a lot to see there.’ She flagged a full investigation and called on the NT children’s commissioner to run an independent inquiry.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Reluctance to Remove Aboriginal Children

Cahill suggested there is a general reluctance to remove Aboriginal children from their homes ‘for fear of being accused of creating another stolen generation.’ She emphasised that this fear should not be used as an excuse if children are not safe. ‘There is an absolute reluctance to move children from Aboriginal families for fear of being accused of creating another stolen generation,’ she said. ‘You cannot use that as an excuse if they are not safe.’

Statistics on Indigenous Children in Out-of-Home Care

As of 30 June 2025, there were 733 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care in the Northern Territory, compared with 90 non-Indigenous children. Indigenous children were removed at more than 12 times the rate of non-Indigenous children, according to the 2026 report on government services. Data released by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare in 2025 showed that more than 70% of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in out-of-home care in the NT in 2022-2023 were not placed with Indigenous relatives or kin, non-Indigenous relatives or kin, or another First Nations caregiver – the lowest rate in all jurisdictions.

Concerns Over Leaked Information

Catherine Liddle, chief executive of SNAICC, the peak body representing the interests of Indigenous children, called for a separate investigation into how media organisations obtained confidential details allegedly from Kumanjayi Little Baby’s child protection file. She said publishing those details ‘only served to demonise a mother trying to keep herself and her children safe.’ News Corp publications reported that Kumanjayi Little Baby had been subject to six child protection notifications in recent months. Liddle noted that notifications do not mean substantiation and that exposure to family violence is a mandatory report in the NT, which does not necessarily indicate a child is at risk of removal. She suggested the information may have been leaked, eroding trust in the system. ‘Again Aboriginal families and communities are being targeted and blamed when we know this is fairly and squarely a failure of government systems such as justice, corrections and public housing,’ Liddle said. ‘This was a child who was very loved and her family are shattered at her loss.’

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration