Starmer and Robbins Present Dueling Accounts in Mandelson Vetting Controversy
The two central figures in the Peter Mandelson security clearance scandal have now publicly presented their conflicting versions of events within the last twenty-four hours. Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Olly Robbins, the recently dismissed head civil servant at the Foreign Office, have revealed substantial disagreements regarding the handling of the Labour peer's appointment.
Robbins' detailed testimony before the foreign affairs select committee on Tuesday has filled in significant gaps about why Mandelson received security clearance despite contrary recommendations from vetting officials. However, several critical points of contention between the prime minister and the former civil servant have emerged, highlighting fundamental differences in their understanding of proper procedure and accountability.
Pressure from Number Ten and Its Significance
Robbins elaborated extensively on Tuesday about the sustained pressure he and his predecessor, Philip Barton, faced to expedite Mandelson's appointment. He argued this pressure context helps explain his decision to override security officials who recommended denying clearance.
"The focus was on getting Mandelson out to Washington quickly," Robbins testified, adding that "throughout January, honestly, my office [and] the foreign secretary's office were under constant pressure. There was an atmosphere of constant chasing."
While Starmer acknowledged on Monday that pressure had indeed been applied to the Foreign Office to confirm the appointment swiftly, he firmly rejected the notion that this should have influenced Robbins' decision-making or his obligation to inform Number Ten about the UK Security Vetting recommendations.
The prime minister told Parliament: "I reject the idea that any pressure is a good reason not to disclose to the prime minister that UKSV recommended against clearance for a very senior, sensitive appointment. I simply do not accept that that is an adequate reason, whatever the pressure."
Divergent Views on the Correctness of the Clearance Decision
Despite acknowledging the pressure he faced, Robbins maintained on Tuesday that granting Mandelson security clearance represented the correct judgment call based on the circumstances.
"There is quite a lot about this situation over the last year and a half I regret," he conceded. "[But] I have no regrets about the work of my brilliant team and the judgment that we came to."
This position stands in direct opposition to Starmer's stated view. The prime minister declared unequivocally on Monday: "If I had known before Peter Mandelson took up his post that the UKSV recommendation was that developed vetting clearance should be denied, I would not have gone ahead with the appointment."
Timing of Vetting Relative to Appointment Announcement
Robbins identified one of his primary regrets as the sequencing of events, particularly that Starmer announced Mandelson's appointment in December 2024 before the Foreign Office had completed its vetting processes.
He informed the committee: "I regret that this process was not done before [the] announcement," though he added this timing would not have altered his ultimate decision.
Starmer maintains the opposite procedural understanding, telling MPs: "For a direct ministerial appointment, it was usual for security vetting to happen after the appointment but before the individual starting in post. That was the process in place at the time."
Whether Starmer Should Have Been Informed About UKSV's Recommendation
Even in retrospect, Robbins maintains his position that withholding UKSV's recommendation from the prime minister represented proper protocol.
He testified: "You are not supposed to share the findings and reports of UKSV other than in exceptional circumstances." When questioned whether Mandelson's high-profile appointment constituted such an exceptional circumstance, Robbins responded: "No. What I was told was absolutely within the normal parameters of a set of findings from UKSV."
Starmer and Number Ten continue to reject this interpretation, asserting that nothing prevented officials from informing the prime minister about security officials' recommendations without involving him in the decision itself.
The prime minister stated: "The recommendation in the Peter Mandelson case could and should have been shared with me before he took up his post."
Allegations of Scapegoating and Accountability
Robbins made clear on Tuesday that he felt unfairly treated in recent days and believes his dismissal was unjustified. He told the committee pointedly: "One scapegoat for this is enough."
Starmer insists he acted appropriately in removing the former civil servant from his position. He acknowledged on Monday: "Sir Olly Robbins has had a distinguished career, and I have worked with him over a number of years. Nonetheless, he could and should have shared this crucially relevant information with me before Peter Mandelson took up his post, and he should have done at various points after that. It was because of that that I lost confidence in him."
The conflicting testimonies reveal not merely personal disagreements but fundamental differences in how senior officials interpret their responsibilities regarding sensitive appointments and security protocols within the British government.



