Sky News has come under fire after broadcasting a streak of nine consecutive pieces of misinformation, eerily mirroring a prophetic Australian Financial Review (AFR) headline from a year ago. The incident, which occurred on the eve of the anniversary of that headline, has sparked renewed debate about media standards and the spread of false information.
The Misinformation Streak
During a prime-time segment on Thursday evening, Sky News aired a series of claims that fact-checkers later deemed false or misleading. Topics ranged from economic data to immigration statistics, each presented as fact without proper context or verification. The streak ended only when a commercial break interrupted the broadcast.
Critics argue that this pattern reflects a systemic issue within the network, which has previously been accused of prioritising sensationalism over accuracy. Media watchdog groups have called for an independent investigation into Sky News' editorial practices.
Connection to the AFR Headline
The incident coincides with the approaching anniversary of an AFR front-page headline that many now view as prophetic. Published on April 25, 2025, the headline read: 'Sky Lights Up with Cosmic Streak of Nine Misinformation.' At the time, the headline was dismissed as hyperbolic, but Thursday's broadcast has given it new resonance.
The AFR headline had been based on leaked internal memos suggesting Sky News planned to air a series of false claims to boost ratings. Sky News denied the allegations, calling them 'baseless conspiracy theories.'
Reactions and Implications
Political figures from both sides have condemned the misinformation streak. Shadow Communications Minister Sarah Thompson said: 'This is not just a mistake; it is a deliberate assault on the truth. The public deserves better from its news providers.'
Sky News released a statement defending its journalism, claiming the segment was 'a robust discussion of contested issues' and that 'all views were presented in good faith.' However, independent fact-checkers have identified at least nine specific falsehoods, including:
- A claim that unemployment had risen to 8%, when official figures show it at 4.2%.
- An assertion that net migration had fallen by 50%, contrary to Home Office data showing a 12% increase.
- A statement that crime rates had doubled, which contradicts ONS statistics indicating a slight decrease.
The incident has reignited calls for stronger regulation of broadcast media. The Media Reform Coalition has urged Ofcom to launch a formal investigation, arguing that 'systematic misinformation undermines democracy.'
Broader Context
This is not the first time Sky News has faced accusations of spreading false information. In 2023, the network was fined £500,000 for airing unsubstantiated claims about COVID-19 vaccines. The current controversy, however, is notable for its sheer volume of errors in a single broadcast.
As the anniversary of the AFR headline approaches, media analysts are drawing parallels between the two events. 'It's as if Sky News is fulfilling a prophecy,' said Dr. Emily Carter, a media studies professor at the University of London. 'The question is whether this is a coincidence or a deliberate strategy.'
Sky News has yet to issue a full correction or apology for Thursday's segment. The network's parent company, Sky Group, has declined to comment, citing an ongoing internal review.



