Pat Nevin predicts Xabi Alonso's Chelsea reign will end in tears
Nevin: Alonso's Chelsea reign will end in tears

Pat Nevin has warned that Xabi Alonso's Chelsea reign is destined to end in tears unless the club's owners are willing to make a major U-turn. The former Stamford Bridge favourite believes the Spaniard's appointment could be doomed if BlueCo does not grant him sufficient control.

Alonso appointed as Chelsea manager

The former Liverpool midfielder has signed a four-year deal to become Chelsea's new manager and will begin work on July 1. An agreement for the former Real Madrid boss to replace Liam Rosenior was reached late on Saturday, and the club confirmed the appointment after their FA Cup final defeat to Manchester City.

The 44-year-old emerged last week as the leading candidate to become owners BlueCo's fifth permanent appointment since 2022. Although other coaches were considered, the situation moved quickly as the club prioritized appointing an elite coach of sufficient calibre.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Alonso's background

Alonso has not worked since being sacked by Real Madrid in January after seven months, having been appointed after leading Bayer Leverkusen to an unbeaten Bundesliga title-winning season in 2024. It is understood that the Spaniard has received assurances he will have sufficient authority to influence decision-making, with Chelsea accepting past mistakes in appointments contributed to a disastrous campaign this season.

The priority internally is to improve standards within the squad both on and off the pitch. Alonso's reputation as a manager and former player was a key consideration as the hierarchy seeks to mend what has looked like a broken club this season. The players' attitude has been called into serious question, with some of the squad appearing to down tools under Rosenior, who failed to command the respect of the dressing room.

Nevin's grim prediction

Ex-Chelsea winger Nevin fears Alonso's tenure will end in frustration and failure unless BlueCo dramatically changes their strategy. 'So you sack Thomas Tuchel, and you sack Pochettino, you had Frank Lampard under your wing but you bring in Liam Rosenior,' Nevin told Grosvenor Casinos. 'Their model needed somebody that they could control. Because if they're the decision makers who are bringing in and doing the acquisitions and setting the style, they don't want a manager, they want a coach.'

Nevin added: 'If you've done five or six managers in five years, your decisions aren't great. Something's got to change. They've already backed down on their stated focus on young players; they've already said they're going to go away and re-evaluate the ideology.'

He continued: 'This time, if they are willing to give a level of control beyond just coaching, then they've got a chance of getting anyone. If they've gone down the route of, 'We'll decide,' what's best, someone like Alonso is not going to touch that. No chance. It all depends on what they are willing to promise.'

Nevin names preferred replacement

Asked who he would prefer to see in the Stamford Bridge hotseat, Nevin plumped for his compatriot Steve Clarke, another former Chelsea player who masterminded Scotland's qualification for the upcoming World Cup. 'I'd like to see Steve Clarke at Chelsea – he's Chelsea through and through,' Nevin said.

'There are loads and loads of great candidates out there. Again, I mention Stevie Clarke. Chelsea through and through. And in the top ten appearances for Chelsea and has been assistant coach down there. But they won't go for him. If they did, I'd go, 'Yeah, I'll take that.''

Alonso has been chosen as a coach whose achievements can serve as an example and raise standards. It is understood he will have significant input into recruitment decisions, although the policy will still be conducted in close collaboration with the club's team of five sporting directors. The decision to hand him the title of manager rather than head coach has been taken out of respect for his standing as a two-time Champions League winner as a player and title winner at Leverkusen.

A statement from Chelsea said: 'His appointment reflects the Club's belief in his broad set of experiences, coaching quality and game model, leadership attributes, character and integrity, which were key to the decision to ask him to help lead the next phase of Chelsea's journey.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration