Harry and Meghan may not stay in UK long after move, sources say
Harry and Meghan may not stay in UK long, sources say

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex may not remain in the UK for an extended period after relocating there later this month, according to sources close to the couple. The move, announced on Wednesday, marks their first British residence in over six years and is intended to allow their children, Archie and Lilibet, to begin the new school year in the UK, though the exact location has not been disclosed.

Move may be temporary, sources say

A report in the Sunday Times, citing two sources close to the Sussexes, suggests that the couple does not view the move as permanent. One source was quoted as saying, 'It’ll be an extended period of time — it could be six months, it could be a year, it could be more — I don’t think even they know yet.' The source added, 'They might suddenly go: “Why don’t we try Canada for a while? Why don’t we try Australia?”'

This potential for a quick departure contrasts with Harry’s recent public statements about missing his home country. The move is also expected to facilitate visits with his father, King Charles, and other relatives, although reconciliation with his brother, Prince William, appears unlikely at this stage.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Royal expert doubts reconciliation with William

Royal expert Duncan Lanscombe told Metro that he 'can’t see any reconciliation with William as far as things stand,' citing the accusations made by Harry and Meghan during their time away. Lanscombe explained, 'Harry told [ITV] in his interview, that the ball was effectively in the royal court – it was for them to reach out. I think William feels the exact opposite and that he’s owed an apology, his wife’s owed an apology, and if Harry and Meghan don’t give that apology and make the effort, I don’t think there’s any hope for the end of the rift.'

Meghan's Netflix role reportedly scrapped

Earlier reports suggested Meghan had been offered a role in the Netflix series The Gentlemen, created by her friend Guy Ritchie, for her return to the UK. However, according to reports, this is no longer the case following public backlash. Royal author Tina Brown wrote on X, 'I have heard that Meghan Markle’s role in Guy Ritchie’s Netflix series The Gentlemen is OFF. Public backlash was too fierce. This does not bode well for Meghan’s acting comeback in the UK.'

The couple's long-term plans remain uncertain, with sources indicating that their stay could be temporary and that they may explore other countries in the future. The impact of their move on family relations and professional opportunities is still unfolding.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration