Rubio Hopes Iran Offers 'Serious' Ceasefire Proposal Amid Tensions
Rubio Hopes Iran Offers 'Serious' Ceasefire Proposal

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has stated that Washington is awaiting a response from Iran regarding its proposals for an interim deal to end the conflict in the Middle East. This comes as Iran accuses the United States of violating the increasingly fragile ceasefire announced last month.

Rising Tensions in the Strait of Hormuz

In recent days, the largest flare-ups since the informal truce began have occurred in and around the contested Strait of Hormuz. The escalation in violence followed Donald Trump's announcement—and subsequent rapid pause—of a new naval mission aimed at opening the strategic waterway.

Diplomatic Efforts Continue

Despite the clashes, diplomatic efforts persist. Mediators from Pakistan have passed a brief memorandum to Iran, which the US says could serve as a basis for a more solid ceasefire and facilitate new negotiations. Speaking during a visit to Rome, Rubio expressed hope for a serious offer from Iran that could lead to a genuine negotiation process.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Speaking to reporters at the White House on Friday evening, President Trump said he expected a response from Iran soon, mentioning that he was supposedly receiving a letter that night.

Iran Accuses US of 'Reckless Military Adventure'

There have been wild swings between hope and despair in recent days as the US and Iran test each other's resilience and will, seeking leverage through belligerent rhetoric, defiance, and sporadic violence. Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi accused the US of breaking the ceasefire, posting on X that every time a diplomatic solution is on the table, the US opts for a reckless military adventure.

Araghchi also boasted that Iran's ballistic missile stocks and launcher capacity had been not only repaired and restocked during the pause in hostilities but also expanded.

Trump's Upcoming Beijing Summit

If all goes to plan, Donald Trump will arrive in Beijing on Wednesday for a highly anticipated summit with Xi Jinping. This trip will mark the first time a US president has visited China in nine years; the last visit was also made by Trump during his first term in 2017. Back then, Beijing pulled out all the stops, but now the mood has shifted, and Trump will enter the talks from a more vulnerable position.

CDC Response to Hantavirus Outbreak

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed it is sending a team to Spain's Canary Islands, where the hantavirus-stricken cruise ship MV Hondius is expected to arrive on Sunday. US passengers will be evacuated to an airbase in Nebraska. However, experts say the US is unprepared for such a disease threat.

Political Landscape and Senate Prospects

Across the country, evidence is building that the coalition that elected Trump to a second nonconsecutive term in 2024 is coming apart. Polls show his approval rating falling, while Democrats have won several major off-year and special elections since he took office. Despite these results and the Iran war weighing on Trump's party, Democrats face a challenge in turning the Senate blue.

Controversial No-Bid Contract

Donald Trump's latest beautification plan for Washington DC—the restoration of the 2,000-foot-long reflecting pool in front of the Lincoln Memorial—has been met with claims that a $6.9 million contract was hastily awarded to a company that renovated a swimming pool at the president's Virginia golf course. The New York Times reported that the no-bid contract was given to Atlantic Industrial Coatings, despite the company having no prior federal contracts.

Trump Media Losses

The Trump Media and Technology Group, parent company of Truth Social, lost nearly $406 million in the first three months of 2026 while generating just over $870,000 in revenue, according to financial filings. The quarterly report showed net sales up 6% year-over-year but sizable losses related to other investments.

Other Developments

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez answered a question about potentially running for higher office in 2028 by declaring her ambition is to change the country. Book bans are on the rise in the US as censorship spreads, reshaping what students are permitted to learn. In an analysis on the Middle East conflict, Dan Sabbagh writes that neither the US nor Iran can sustain the Strait of Hormuz standoff indefinitely.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration