Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday Kept Using Convicted Investigator, Court Hears
Mail Titles Used Convicted Investigator After 2005, Court Told

Mail Titles Continued Using Convicted Investigator After 2005, High Court Hears

A private investigator convicted of illegally obtaining confidential information has told the High Court that the Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday remained his "best customers" for two years after his 2005 conviction. Steve Whittamore, who received a conditional discharge in 2005, stated his work for Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL), the publisher of both titles, spanned from 1998 to 2007.

Whittamore's Detailed Testimony on Illegal Activities

In a written submission presented to the court, Whittamore outlined the extensive services he and his network provided to ANL. These included:

  • Providing names and addresses linked to phone numbers
  • Accessing criminal records through deceptive means
  • "Blagging" personal data by deception
  • Obtaining itemised phone bills without authorization

"After my conviction, there were some titles who ceased to instruct me; however, some newspapers continued using my services despite this, and these included the Mail on Sunday and the Daily Mail," Whittamore stated. "They remained my best customers until April 2007, when the Daily Mail ceased using my services."

Claims of Journalistic Knowledge of Illegal Methods

Whittamore expressed certainty that journalists and editors who regularly used his services understood the illegal nature of his methods. "I was in no doubt that all journalists who used my services on a regular basis, or who worked in newsrooms who were regular users, knew that the information was obtained through illegal means such as blagging," he testified.

"The journalists who used me and the editors who sanctioned this knew full well that I was a practitioner of the 'dark arts'," Whittamore added. "If the information the journalists requested could have been acquired legitimately, as opposed to through blagging or other checks, then the newspapers would have had no need to use my particular services."

Connection to Current Lawsuit Involving Prince Harry

This testimony emerges as seven claimants, including Prince Harry, are suing ANL over alleged unlawful information gathering. ANL has denied all claims in the ongoing legal battle. Whittamore revealed he obtained details about the family of actor Sadie Frost, one of the claimants, through a subcontractor in 2003.

ANL's Response and Dacre's Testimony

In written submissions, ANL acknowledged at the Leveson inquiry that it had previously used inquiry agents, including Whittamore, and that instances of blagging had occurred. Paul Dacre, former editor of the Daily Mail, testified in court that he banned the use of private investigators in 2007.

ANL argued that the claimants' legal team is attempting to connect invoices to private investigators with specific stories without sufficient evidence, calling this approach "guesswork." Journalists named as having used Whittamore's services claimed they sought legitimate help finding addresses or phone numbers and "did not know or suspect Mr Whittamore was acting illegally."

Courtroom Tensions and Legal Arguments

During cross-examination, David Sherborne, lead barrister for the claimants, presented Dacre with invoices suggesting requests for criminal record checks and vehicle registrations. Dacre maintained he didn't handle invoices and couldn't comment without understanding their full context, standing by his previous Leveson inquiry testimony.

The trial has seen increasing tensions between Sherborne and Mr Justice Nicklin, who warned the barrister to focus on evidence related to the seven claimants rather than attempting to turn the trial into a broader public inquiry into alleged unlawful activities at ANL.

The legal proceedings continue as both sides present their cases in this high-profile lawsuit involving one of Britain's most prominent newspaper publishers and several high-profile claimants.