One Nation Senator Roberts Sparks Fury Over Bondi 'False Flag' Comments
Roberts Under Fire Over Bondi 'False Flag' Remarks

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts has once again stirred controversy with his comments regarding the antisemitic terror attack at Bondi Beach, refusing to categorically dismiss the possibility that it was a "false flag" operation. In a recent YouTube interview, Roberts was asked whether he believed the attack was staged, and his response has drawn widespread criticism.

YouTube Interview Sparks Debate

During a 23-minute interview posted earlier this month on a YouTube channel, social media creator Lisa Jane Spencer posed the question: "Do you think that Bondi was a false flag?" The term "false flag" refers to an event or attack that is later blamed on someone other than the actual perpetrator, a concept often used by conspiracy theorists to suggest governments stage events to justify unpopular actions.

Roberts initially responded by noting that a royal commission had not yet been held, then criticized Prime Minister Anthony Albanese's initial reluctance to establish such an inquiry. He went on to claim that the Labor Party had tolerated antisemitism and "given fertile ground for Islamic terrorists." Returning to the question, he said: "I haven't got the evidence. I doubt whether it was a false flag."

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

When Spencer suggested the timing of subsequent laws was suspicious, Roberts replied: "I'm going to challenge you on that, because while what you said is correct, there are so many things in the last 30 years, but especially with Covid, that they seem to arrange something and then the laws would come. I can acknowledge that point, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the case here." He added: "You asked me if I thought it was a false flag. If I make a statement, it's got to be backed by fact. I don't have the facts yet. I'm not ruling it out."

Backlash and Clarification

The December 14 shooting at a Chanukah festival at Bondi Beach left 15 people dead. Police quickly treated the incident as an act of terrorism allegedly inspired by Islamic State. The alleged shooter, Sajid Akram, was killed at the scene, while his son, Naveed Akram, faces multiple charges including 15 counts of murder. The federal government has since convened a royal commission into the attack and broader antisemitism in Australia.

At a press conference in Canberra alongside One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, Roberts was pressed on his comments. He described the false flag suggestion as "an absurd proposition" but insisted he makes decisions based on data, which he lacks. He urged the media to consider the context, stating that the interviewer was "very naive and very young, very inexperienced. And I was just being gentle with her."

Hanson defended Roberts, claiming his remarks were taken out of context. "We have shown our support for the Jewish community, for what's happened in this country. We've been very supportive of the people at Bondi, against the Bondi attack," she said. Roberts added that the media is culpable for the interviewer's question because it has misled the public, leading to distrust.

Political Reactions

When asked directly if he believed there was a false flag attack, Roberts reiterated that it was an "absurd proposition." Hanson confirmed, "Of course there's no false flag. I will answer because I've had this discussion with Senator Roberts, there is no false flag." She emphasized their strong support for the Jewish community and their push for the royal commission.

Allegra Spender, the member for Wentworth, which includes Bondi, condemned Roberts' comments as "absolutely appalling." She stated: "I have been to funerals … it is completely out of line of what Asio, the security agencies and others know. It is an affront to the families who have lost their loved ones."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration