US Launches 'Project Freedom' to Guide Ships Through Hormuz Strait Amid Iran Tensions
US Project Freedom Guides Ships Through Hormuz Strait

The United States has launched an operation to guide ships trapped in the Gulf by the Iran war through a southern route of the Strait of Hormuz, even as Tehran insists that any such transits must be coordinated with its armed forces. The scheme, announced as 'Project Freedom' by President Donald Trump on his social media platform, is portrayed as a humanitarian gesture to assist crews on hundreds of vessels unable to leave the Gulf since hostilities began.

Shipping Industry Reacts with Caution

Shipping executives have responded cautiously to the move, amid uncertainty over how or if it would work. US officials were quoted in press reports as saying the operation would not involve naval escorts. US Central Command stated it would 'support' the project with its considerable military resources in the region, including guided-missile destroyers, more than 100 land- and sea-based aircraft, drones, and 15,000 troops. However, the emphasis of the mission is to 'combine diplomatic action with military coordination'.

Enhanced Security Area Established

On Monday morning, the US-led Joint Maritime Information Center (JMIC) announced that the US had established an 'enhanced security area' south of the established prewar shipping lanes through the strait. The route would take ships through Omani territorial waters, and due to high anticipated traffic, ship operators were told to coordinate with Omani authorities by radio. Ships were advised to avoid navigating in or close to the usual shipping lanes, which 'should be considered extremely hazardous due to the presence of mines that have not been fully surveyed and mitigated'.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Iran's Military Command Responds

Iran's military command insisted that ships passing must coordinate with them. Major General Ali Abdollahi stated, 'We will manage the security of the Strait of Hormuz with all might, and inform all commercial ships and tankers to refrain from any attempt to transit without the coordination of the Iranian armed forces stationed in the Strait of Hormuz in order not to jeopardise their security.' Earlier, Abdollahi had declared that Iran would attack 'any foreign armed force' which tried to approach or enter the strait, 'especially the aggressive US army'.

It remained unclear on Monday morning how many ships had chosen to use the US-recommended route. Richard Hext, chair of Vanmar Shipping and the Hong Kong Shipowners Association, pointed out that Iran had previously declared that unapproved transit of the strait would be considered a 'violation of the ceasefire' agreed last month. 'Under these circumstances we should be cautious,' Hext told CNN.

European Leaders Express Caution

French President Emmanuel Macron stated on Monday that the only way to reopen the strait was 'a coordinated reopening by the United States and Iran'. Speaking at a meeting of European leaders in Armenia, Macron added, 'We are not going to take part in any military operation in a framework that to me seems unclear.'

Humanitarian Concerns Mount

More than 850 ships are estimated to have been trapped in the Gulf since the US and Israel launched their attack on Iran on February 28. Iran imposed a blockade on foreign shipping using the Strait of Hormuz soon afterward, and Trump imposed a counter-blockade of ships using Iranian ports on April 13. A Pakistani-brokered ceasefire, announced by Trump in early April, stopped hostilities but failed to open the strait. An estimated 20,000 sailors remain stuck on tankers, bulk carriers, container ships, and other vessels, with growing concerns for their welfare.

Trump said the US had been approached by countries for help. Announcing the project on Truth Social, Trump stated that the US would use its 'best efforts to get their Ships and Crews safely out of the Strait'. He presented it as a humanitarian gesture 'on behalf of the United States, Middle Eastern Countries but, in particular, the Country of Iran'. Trump added that if this humanitarian process is interfered with, that interference would 'unfortunately have to be dealt with forcefully'.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Conflicting Signals from Trump

Trump's post also claimed that there were 'very positive discussions between US representatives and Iran' that could lead to 'something very positive for all', marking a dramatic change in tone. However, Trump has a record of delivering surprisingly upbeat messages in the hours before global markets open. He initially reacted negatively over the weekend to Iran's latest 14-point peace proposal, saying Iran had not yet 'paid a big enough price' for its past wrongs. Israeli state broadcaster Kan News reported that Trump said he had 'studied the new Iranian proposal and it is unacceptable to me'.

Trump's rhetoric over the weekend had been particularly bellicose. After telling Congress in a formal letter that the US was not at war, he told supporters at a retirement community in Florida, 'You know we're in a war, because I think you would agree we cannot let lunatics have a nuclear weapon.' The war talk boosted speculation over another round of US strikes against Iran aimed at forcing concessions, including a halt to the country's nuclear program.

Regional and International Implications

Israeli press reports quoted senior military officials saying they were preparing for possible US strikes on Iran and the likelihood that Tehran would retaliate against Israel. A senior Israeli officer briefed reporters on Friday, stating that any peace agreement without a cessation of Iran's uranium enrichment program and surrender of its stockpile of highly enriched uranium would be considered a failure. Iran's military-backed Fars news agency quoted a senior official as saying a return to all-out conflict was 'likely', weeks after the ceasefire was brokered. Pakistani efforts to rekindle peace talks in Islamabad, after a first round ended without agreement, have so far failed as each side set preconditions that the other refused to fulfil.