EU Foreign Ministers Reject Proposal to Suspend Israel Association Agreement
EU Rejects Suspension of Israel Association Agreement

EU Foreign Ministers Reject Proposal to Suspend Israel Association Agreement

European Union foreign ministers have rejected a proposal to partially suspend the EU-Israel association agreement, highlighting deep divisions within the bloc over how to respond to Israel's actions in Gaza and the West Bank. The proposal, tabled by Ireland, Spain, and Slovenia, failed to secure sufficient backing from other member states during a meeting in Luxembourg on Tuesday.

Persistent Divisions Over Israel Policy

Despite growing criticism of Israel's military campaign in Gaza and escalating violence against Palestinians by Israeli settlers in the West Bank, the EU remains split on imposing meaningful sanctions. Kaja Kallas, the EU foreign policy chief, acknowledged that proposals for a partial suspension of the association agreement remain on the table but require significant shifts in member state positions to come into force.

"We didn't see that today, but these discussions will continue," Kallas told reporters after the meeting. She rejected criticism that the bloc's approach suggests a double standard, while questioning the practical impact of sanctions. "A suspension of the association agreement, will it stop the expansion [by Israeli settlers] on the West Bank? You know this is probably also not true," she stated.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Pressure From Pro-Palestinian Member States

Ireland, Spain, and Slovenia pressed Kallas to reopen discussions about partially suspending Israel's association agreement with the EU, a proposal first introduced last autumn that never secured majority support. These three countries, historically strong defenders of Palestinian rights, wrote to Kallas last week describing "unbearable" conditions in Gaza with continuous ceasefire violations and insufficient humanitarian aid, alongside escalating violence against Palestinians in the West Bank.

José Manuel Albares, Spain's foreign minister, emphasized the need for a policy shift: "While Israel continues in that path of a permanent perpetual war, we will not be able to [run our relations] in the same way." Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez, among the most vocal European critics of Israel's war in Gaza, recently called on the EU to end its association agreement with Israel entirely.

Growing Criticism Within EU Institutions

Belgium's Foreign Minister Maxime Prévot noted the urgent need for action, citing violence by West Bank settlers reaching "unprecedented levels" and the Israeli parliament's vote for the death penalty. "There are clearly serious attacks on the principles of the rights and values of the EU that govern this agreement," he said, referencing Article 2 of the EU-Israel pact.

Kathleen Van Brempt, a Belgian vice-chair of the European Parliament who speaks for the Socialists on trade, delivered particularly harsh criticism: "The failure by both the European Commission and the EU member states to act appropriately according to international law, human rights and its own values and beliefs is making Europe complicit in the war crimes and crimes against humanity perpetrated by Israel." She argued that the EU is eroding its credibility as a human rights defender through inaction.

German Opposition and Procedural Hurdles

Germany firmly opposed the suspension proposal, with Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul advocating for continued dialogue: "We have to talk with Israel about the critical issues. That has to be done in a critical, constructive dialogue with Israel." The association agreement requires unanimous approval by all 27 EU member states to be fully revoked, but a partial suspension needs only a weighted majority of 15 states representing 65% of the EU population. Given current positions, either Germany or Italy would need to change their stance for the proposal to succeed.

External Pressure Mounts

Amnesty International accused the EU of "a moral failure" that shows "brazen contempt for civilian lives, particularly in the occupied Palestinian territory and in Lebanon." The NGO was among 70 groups that called for suspension of the EU-Israel agreement last week. In separate initiatives, more than 1 million people and nearly 400 senior EU diplomats and officials have made similar demands to EU leaders.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

From another direction, France and Sweden urged the European Commission to "urgently consider" imposing tariffs on products from illegal settlements in the West Bank and restrictions on exports to these territories. Kallas confirmed she would raise this proposal with the European commissioner for trade.

Norwegian Perspective and Revenue Dispute

Espen Barth Eide, Norway's foreign minister, highlighted the problem of violent settlers encroaching on Palestinian territory, "at times tolerated by, even supported by the Israeli government and the IDF." Norway, which has historically attempted to broker peace between Israel and Palestinians, called on Israel to release Palestinian "clearance revenues"—taxes and customs duties collected by Israel under the Oslo accords that represent the Palestinian Authority's main revenue source.

"This is not asking Israel to do something extra. It's just to do something that they're already legally obliged to do. This is our number one ask and it should happen immediately," Eide stated. He referenced the 2024 opinion of the UN's International Court of Justice that established the occupation as illegal under international law.

Israeli Response and Additional EU Actions

The Israeli government has strongly criticized its EU detractors, particularly targeting Spanish Prime Minister Sánchez. Gideon Sa'ar, Israel's foreign minister, accused the Spanish government of receiving thanks "from Iran's brutal regime and terrorist organisation" and dedicating itself to "spreading antisemitism." He posted this statement alongside a photograph apparently showing Sánchez's face and criticisms of Israel on an Iranian missile.

Separately, Kallas announced that the EU would adopt new sanctions on Iranians involved in limiting free navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, adding to existing restrictions on Iran. The EU aims to implement these sanctions in May, further expanding its foreign policy actions in the region despite the deadlock on Israel measures.