Police Release Photos of Officers Killed in A66 Wrong-Way Crash
Photos Released of Officers Killed in A66 Crash

Cleveland Police have released photographs of PC Matthew Blades, 37, and PC Tom Clough, 38, who died when a car travelling the wrong way on the A66 crashed head-on into their marked police vehicle. The collision, which occurred early on Saturday near Middlesbrough, resulted in the deaths of seven people, including two 17-year-old boys.

Victims Identified in Fatal Collision

The five occupants of the Volkswagen Passat, believed to be using cloned plates, were identified by Cleveland Police on Sunday afternoon. They were Cole Robert Worthy, 17, Theo Rae, 17, Makai Saddington, 18, and 23-year-olds Michael Robert Cahill and Jacob Matusiak. The Passat collided with the armed response vehicle on the A66 in South Bank at 3.39am.

PCs Blades and Clough, who were driving in the correct direction, were also killed in the collision. The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has opened an investigation after a mandatory referral from Cleveland Police.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Tributes Paid to Officers and Families

Chief Constable Victoria Fuller described the officers as “brave officers protecting our communities”. In a statement issued via Cleveland Police, Clough’s family called him “our hero with a fantastic sense of humour” and someone who “jumped into action whenever needed, and [was] willing to help anyone for any reason”. They added that he had “proudly fought for his country to make the world a better place” and expressed “sincere gratitude for the overwhelming support and condolences from friends, colleagues and the wider community”.

PC Blades’ wife, who has not been named, said the pain of losing him is “beyond words” and that the family’s lives “will never be the same”. In a statement issued through the force, she said: “No words will ever feel like the right words to honour our Matt – my beloved husband, my best friend, and the most devoted father to our two young boys.” She added: “He gave his life in the line of duty, protecting and serving others with courage, dedication and selflessness.” She concluded: “Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever our superhero.”

Community and Club Mourn Loss

Seaton Carew FC, a local football club, said on social media that Blades had recently joined as coach and was preparing for the new under-sevens Seahawks team. “He was looking forward to being part of the team and, most importantly, to coaching his own son, who is going to be playing for the Seahawks this season,” the club said. The club added that Blades and his oldest son were “much-loved members of our club and our U10 Lions football family”.

Anna Turley, the Home Office minister and local Redcar MP, said it was “devastating” to think about the grief of the families and that the whole community was “reeling”. She said: “All of us in the community here are sending our heartfelt thoughts and sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives so tragically.” She also paid tribute to the officers, saying: “The bravery that we see from our police officers every day, every night is incredible. No one should not come home to their families at the end of their shift.”

Investigation Underway into Crash Circumstances

The IOPC said initial inquiries showed the Passat had been pursued by police for just under seven minutes before it turned onto the A66 against the flow of traffic. At that point, the pursuit was aborted. The IOPC stated: “Approximately 10 seconds later, the Passat collided with another police vehicle which was not involved in the pursuit but in the area to assist in a search for the Passat believed to be using cloned plates that had activated an ANPR camera.”

IOPC director of engagement Derrick Campbell said: “Our thoughts continue to be with the family and friends and all those affected by yesterday’s collision. We recognise the devastating impact the incident has had on those in the force, and the wider policing community, and offer our condolences.”

Prime Minister Andy Burnham said he was “devastated” to hear of the deaths, adding: “My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of everyone involved, and with everyone at Cleveland police. Thank you to the emergency services responding in incredibly difficult circumstances. I would urge people to avoid speculation at this time.”

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration

Chief Constable Fuller said she and her deputy visited the families of the officers on Saturday to offer condolences. She said: “This is an incredibly sad day for Cleveland. This loss is being felt across our communities, by our police family and by our partner agencies. These were brave officers, protecting our communities and serving our residents, who didn’t return home to their families at the end of their shift.” Lauren Somerville, chair of Cleveland Police Federation, said the grief among officers was “all-consuming, overwhelming”, adding: “Words cannot describe the pain the Cleveland police family are feeling.” Cleveland Police and Crime Commissioner Matt Storey described the force as a “really tight-knit family” and said the deaths “will have a big impact on them”. Family liaison officers are working with the families of all those who died.