Wellington Flood Victim Found as City Recovers from Record Deluge
Wellington Flood Victim Found Amid Record Rainfall Recovery

Wellington Flood Victim Found as City Recovers from Record Deluge

The body of a man who was swept away after severe flooding tore through his home in New Zealand's capital has been found, police confirmed on Wednesday. This tragic discovery comes as Wellington begins the arduous process of recovery following widespread damage caused by unprecedented rainfall.

Search Concludes with Tragic Outcome

Philip Sutton was looking after a property for his sister in Karori, located in Wellington's western suburbs, when a torrent of flood water smashed through the residence early on Monday morning. Search and rescue teams had been scouring the area extensively but were forced to pause operations when Tuesday brought further torrential rain to the already devastated region.

In a media briefing, police revealed that Sutton was found some distance from his car just after midday on Wednesday. Authorities noted there was a "substantial distance" between the vehicle and where Sutton was ultimately located, highlighting the powerful force of the floodwaters.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

"The family are aware that we have located Phillip, so as you can imagine they are now moving to that privacy space so they can manage what they need to manage," Inspector Fleur de Bes stated during the briefing.

Record Rainfall Causes Unprecedented Damage

Wellington was placed under a rare state of emergency on Monday after the city experienced rainfall totals that nearly tripled monthly averages. Meteorological services reported that more than 70mm of rain fell in just one hour in parts of southern Wellington – the highest recorded amount in the city's history.

Speaking to RNZ, Inspector Dean Silvester described the challenging search conditions in the semi-rural area. Flood debris was discovered in trees more than a metre off the ground, he reported, adding "So that gives some indication of the ferocity" of the flooding.

Residents awoke to terrifying scenes of rivers rushing through their streets, cars flipped over and dragged out to sea, numerous landslides, and extensive flooding. The devastation was so severe that on Wednesday morning, a dead cow was found washed up on a popular south coast beach, illustrating the far-reaching impact of the weather event.

Community Resilience Amid Ongoing Hazards

While further showers were forecast for Wellington, all rain and wind warnings had been lifted by Wednesday. However, the state of emergency remained in place, according to Wellington city council officials.

"Although conditions are improving, hazards are still present – particularly landslides, slips, flooding, debris, and unstable structures," the council warned. "These risks can occur suddenly, even after the rain has eased."

Emergency services and response teams continued working in affected areas, with authorities asking residents to "not self-deploy" to assist with the clean-up efforts. Despite this caution, community spirit remained strong, with groups organizing in the streets to clean up debris and assist those whose homes or businesses suffered damage.

The Newtown Residents Association told RNZ that locals had been pulling together to help residents of their community and neighboring suburbs Mount Cook and Berhampore, which faced particularly widespread flooding.

"Wellington's resilient, Newtown's resilient, and we just check in on each other," said Merio Marsters, president of the association, capturing the determined spirit of the capital's residents as they face the monumental task of recovery.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration