Strictly Come Dancing icon Fleur East has opened up about her disappointment after failing to land the main hosting role on the BBC show. The TV presenter, 38, has hosted the hit spin-off show It Takes Two for three years alongside Janette Manrara, but her future remains uncertain as the program undergoes a major overhaul.
Fleur East Addresses Hosting Snub
Speaking on the Hits Radio Breakfast Show on Wednesday morning, Fleur addressed reports that Big Brother star Emma Willis had been chosen as one of the new hosts. 'All right, I'm going to say it. I did say initially, after Tess and Claudia announced they were leaving Strictly, you know, it's probably not going to happen [for me] and I'm happy for whoever gets it,' she explained.
'And we were just talking about Emma Willis being announced and I was like, yeah, great, amazing and I've kind of lied to myself that I'd be all right with not doing it or not being considered for the job. But I'm kind of bothered…' she told co-hosts Will Best and James Barr.
The TV and radio star, who was a contestant on the show in 2022, said it was 'okay to admit' that missing out on an 'incredible job' was a blow. 'So, when you're within touching distance of something like that, and even considering it for a minute, I never allowed myself to really go fully there, but I did think about it. I was like: "That would be amazing."
'So yeah, I guess I have been lying to myself when I've been saying, I'm fine. I'm coming to terms with it, but I feel I was okay before it was confirmed that someone [has] got the job. Because until it was confirmed, I was like: "Well, they might call me one day. They might do all the tests, and they go, actually, yeah, we haven't seen Fleur. Let's give her a little call." In the end, she graciously conceded: 'But it's gone to the right person.'
Other Stars React to Hosting Decision
Fleur is not the first star to express difficulty over not securing the golden Strictly gig. Former Radio 2 host Zoe Ball, who was considered a frontrunner, confirmed she did not get the role. Speaking on her Dig It podcast with Jo Whiley, she said: 'I didn't get it, but it's OK. I have worked through the seven stages of grief and rejection over the last couple of days.'
The BBC has been searching for replacements for Claudia Winkleman, 54, and Tess Daly, 57, for several months. The final 10 candidates underwent a rigorous audition process, including stars like Alison Hammond, Zoe Ball, and Rylan. According to The Sun, Emma Willis has landed one of the spots, with Johannes Radebe and Josh Widdicombe still in the mix.
What's Next for Strictly Come Dancing?
There is no official word yet on who will host the main show, with the BBC simply stating that plans for 2026 will be revealed in due course. It Takes Two is reportedly facing a major overhaul with a new format without Fleur and Janette, although the BBC has denied 'axing' them. With returning pros and judges confirmed, it's only a matter of time before the new hosts are announced.



