BBC Confirms Knowledge of Scott Mills Allegations in 2017
The BBC has publicly acknowledged that it was aware of police investigations into historical sexual abuse allegations against Scott Mills as early as 2017. In a statement released on Wednesday, the corporation revealed that it terminated the Radio 2 breakfast show host's contract last Friday due to "new information" that came to light regarding his conduct.
Mills Responds to Dismissal and Media Speculation
Scott Mills, the 53-year-old DJ, issued his first public statement since the news broke on Monday. He confirmed that the Metropolitan police's recent statement relates to him, addressing an allegation made in 2016 of a historic sexual offence. Mills stated that he "fully cooperated" with the police investigation in 2018, and the Crown Prosecution Service determined that the evidential threshold was not met to bring charges.
"Since the investigation related to an allegation that dates back nearly 30 years and the police investigation was closed seven years ago, I hope that the public and the media will understand and respect my wish not to make any further public comment on this matter," Mills said. He expressed gratitude to his former colleagues and listeners for their support.
Details of the Police Investigation and BBC Action
The Metropolitan police clarified that the allegations involved serious sexual offences against a boy under 16, alleged to have occurred between 1997 and 2000, when Mills was in his 20s. The original complaint was made in Hampshire, and Mills was interviewed under caution in 2018. However, after the CPS reviewed the evidence, no charges were filed, and the investigation was closed in May 2019.
The BBC emphasized its commitment to improving culture and standards, citing an independent culture review from last year. A spokesperson said, "We hope people understand that there is a limit to what we can say because we have to be mindful of the rights of those involved." The corporation is conducting further work to understand what was known internally at the time of the initial awareness in 2017.
Impact on Mills' Career and Charity Role
Until recently, Mills hosted Britain's most popular breakfast show on Radio 2, taking over from Zoe Ball last January and boosting the audience to 6.5 million listeners. His departure was communicated to staff by Lorna Clarke, the BBC's director of music, who described the news as "sudden and unexpected."
In addition to losing his BBC role, Mills has been dropped as a patron by the charity Neuroblastoma UK, which funds research into childhood cancer. A spokesperson for the charity stated, "We have communicated this decision to Scott and his team, and would like to thank him for his support to date."
The BBC's decisive action reflects its ongoing efforts to uphold behavioral expectations and address misconduct allegations promptly, amidst heightened scrutiny of institutional responses to such cases.



