Xabi Alonso Addresses Chelsea Exit Rumors for Joao Pedro, Fernandez, Cucurella
Xabi Alonso on Chelsea Exit Rumors: Joao Pedro, Fernandez, Cucurella

New Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso has addressed growing speculation about the potential departures of key players Joao Pedro, Enzo Fernandez, and Marc Cucurella, offering a measured response when pressed by Spanish media this week. The former Liverpool and Real Madrid midfielder, who signed a four-year contract at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, reassured fans that he would 'make a good team' despite the uncertainty surrounding the trio's futures.

Alonso's First Comments as Chelsea Boss

Alonso, 44, was appointed to succeed Liam Rosenior after weeks of speculation, ending his brief unemployment following his dismissal from Real Madrid earlier this year. He will officially take over from interim boss Calum McFarlane on July 1. In an exclusive interview with El Chiringuito TV, Alonso was asked about the incessant rumors linking Joao Pedro with Barcelona, as well as Fernandez and Cucurella's reported frustrations at the club. 'Well... this is football, and we'll make a good team,' Alonso said, declining to elaborate further.

Joao Pedro's Future in the Spotlight

Joao Pedro, Chelsea's top goalscorer, has become a primary target for La Liga champions Barcelona. According to Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo, Chelsea 'will not make it easy' for Barcelona to sign the Brazilian, but could consider offers around €100 million (£87 million). Pedro's contract runs until June 2033, giving the club significant leverage. Former Chelsea winger Joe Cole suggested that selling a star player might be necessary due to the club's failure to qualify for the Champions League. 'They're going to have to sell,' Cole said on The Dressing Room Podcast. 'Everything would have been set up in this five-year plan... you'd say there has to be some buying and selling.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Fernandez and Cucurella's Uncertain Futures

Enzo Fernandez and Marc Cucurella have both aired their frustrations in recent weeks, with the latter attracting interest from a second European giant. Alonso's non-committal response has done little to calm fears among the fanbase that the club may be forced to offload key players to balance the books. However, the Spaniard remained focused on the future, shutting down questions about his tumultuous tenure at Real Madrid. 'No, no. I can't tell you anything,' he said when asked about his former club.

Challenges Ahead for Alonso

Alonso inherits a Chelsea side that finished eighth in the Premier League and suffered a 1-0 defeat to Manchester City in the FA Cup final. With Champions League qualification out of reach, the club faces financial pressures that could necessitate player sales. Alonso's task is to rebuild a competitive squad while navigating transfer market uncertainties. 'It's a great project,' he said of his new role. 'We have to start working.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration