Craig Bellamy Undecided on NRL Future Amid Private Illness Battle
Bellamy Undecided on NRL Future Amid Private Illness

Melbourne Storm head coach Craig Bellamy is staying private about his health condition, wanting the spotlight to remain on his team rather than his neurodegenerative disorder. The 66-year-old veteran faced the media at AAMI Park ahead of the Storm's Sunday afternoon clash with the Wests Tigers, as the side looks to end a record-extending seven-match losing streak.

Melbourne recently revealed the shocking news that Bellamy is battling an unspecified neurodegenerative disorder. When asked for specifics about the illness, Bellamy said details would remain private. "At the end of the day, this is private to me, and footy's what you're here for," he told reporters.

The Storm stated that Bellamy plans to see out this season, as specialists advised that his diagnosis would not impact his ability to coach the team in the immediate future. Bellamy, who began his Melbourne career in 2003, was asked if he intended to coach next season after recently signing a new contract through to the end of 2028. "I don't know yet, but I'm thinking about this week," he said.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Bellamy noted that his condition has not changed his coaching duties so far. He expressed gratitude for the overwhelming support from the rugby league and wider community since his ailment became public. "One thing that I can't believe is how many messages I've got. I was surprised by how much support – I know a lot of people, but at the end of the day, the support's been unbelievable," Bellamy said. "I really apologize; I haven't got back to any, I think, I've been pretty busy with the footy, but everyone who has sent me a message... I really appreciate it and hopefully I'll get back to you soon."

Bellamy was at the helm during the club's salary cap breach scandal in 2010, when Melbourne was stripped of two premierships and unable to play for competition points that season. With Eli Katoa and Tui Kamikamica both sidelined after brain surgery, the off-season departure of key players, his own diagnosis, and the losing streak, this has been one of the toughest years to deal with. "It has been," he said. "We lost Paps [Ryan Papenhuyzen] and Nelson [Asofa-Solomona] before the season started, and then we've lost Eli and Tui, and it's knocked our forward stocks, but it is what it is. We've just got to get on with what we've got and work out what the best plan is and make sure everyone applies themselves to that training and hopefully in the game."

The Storm have not lost to the Wests Tigers in eight matches and have not lost at home to them since 2018. However, with only two wins for the season, Bellamy said his team would need to avoid another second-half fade-out to prevent another loss. "It's obviously a bit of a switch-off of their concentration... it's been pretty consistent, so we've had a few ideas to try and solve it, but it hasn't worked out like that yet," he said. "Hopefully we go a bit better this week and then go from there. Certainly, you're aware after you lose a few games that your confidence is likely to fall, and we've tried to keep it positive within themselves as individuals, but also as a team."

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration