Two Men Jailed for Life for Drive-By Murder of Mum at Church Wake
Two Men Jailed for Life for Church Drive-By Murder

Two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the murder of an innocent mother-of-two in a drive-by shooting outside a church in north London. Michelle Sadio, 44, was fatally shot on December 14, 2024, while attending a wake at the River of Life Pentecostal Church in Willesden.

Perry Allen-Thomas, 27, and Amir Salem, 20, were found guilty of murder and two counts of attempted murder after a trial at the Old Bailey. The attempted murder charges relate to two other individuals who were wounded in the attack. On Wednesday, Judge Mrs Justice McGowan handed down life sentences, ordering minimum terms of 38 years for Allen-Thomas and 26 years for Salem.

During sentencing, the judge described how a 'happy, family orientated' occasion had descended into a 'terrible tragedy.' Despite children being present, she noted that the perpetrators 'simply did not care who was killed,' though the shooting was not specifically aimed at children.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Victim's Husband Offers Forgiveness

In a poignant victim impact statement, Michelle's widower, Jean-Marie Sadio, who worked with her at the same law firm, told the court he had chosen to forgive the killers. 'The ones who were behind what happened that night can never know what they have done. I have forgiven them because the future has to be my focus for the sake of my children,' he said.

Addressing the defendants directly, Mr. Sadio stated: 'Today, you stand guilty before all but, most importantly, you stand forgiven. Do not burden yourself with guilt but an unquenchable and determined desire to change. If you succeed in this, you would have repaid society.' He urged them to use their time in prison to reflect and become the people their families always hoped for.

Details of the Attack

The court heard that Michelle Sadio was among approximately 100 mourners, including children as young as five, attending the wake for 80-year-old Dianne Boatong. At around 9pm, as guests gathered outside, a black Kia pulled up and shots were fired into the crowd. Michelle, a legal administrator, was struck and died at the scene.

Two other people were injured: Kenneth Amoah, 39, a Transport for London contractor, was shot in the back and left paralyzed below the waist; Kadeem Francis, 32, a self-employed individual, was shot in the foot. The intended target was believed to be rapper Trapstar Toxic, real name Adetokunbo Ajibola, 33, who was present at the event.

Allen-Thomas, from Wembley, was found to have helped organize the shooting but ensured he was elsewhere at the time. The Kia used in the attack had been stolen and fitted with false license plates. Salem, also from Wembley, purchased some of the petrol used to set the vehicle on fire after the shooting. At least four shots were fired, though the identity of the shooter remains unknown. Prosecutors alleged that two other men in the Kia fled the country following the incident.

Gang Gun Linked to Previous Incidents

The weapon used in the shooting had been used twice before in the preceding months and was described as a 'gang gun.' In one prior incident, a car occupant fired 11 rounds at a group outside a pizzeria, hitting one person in the ankle. However, there was no evidence linking the defendants to those events.

During the trial, both Allen-Thomas and Salem denied any involvement or knowledge of the incident. The jury ultimately convicted them after considering the evidence.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration