Tupac murder trial witness turns hostile, warns lawyer 'we're going to have problems'
Tupac trial witness warns lawyer 'we're going to have problems'

Chaos erupted on the second day of Duane 'Keffe D' Davis's murder trial for the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur, as a key witness delivered a combative testimony, warning the defense attorney, 'We're going to have problems.' The trial, taking place in Las Vegas, centers on Davis, 63, who is accused of orchestrating the drive-by shooting that killed the iconic rapper.

Witness James McDonald becomes hostile in court

James 'Mob James' McDonald, an associate of Death Row Records co-founder Marion 'Suge' Knight and a former member of the Mob Piru gang, took the stand on Tuesday. McDonald, who worked security at Club 662 the night Shakur was killed, quickly became agitated. He claimed he was threatened with contempt of court if he did not testify, according to statements made in court.

When prosecutors repeatedly asked who was responsible for Shakur's death, McDonald pointed at Davis and said, 'You're asking me something that wouldn't be good for him.' He then told Davis directly, 'I don't want to send you to prison.' McDonald refused to answer several questions, stating it 'wouldn't be good' for the defendant. At one point, he looked at Davis and said, 'Talk to your lawyer man, this dude is tripping.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Witness challenges defense attorney

McDonald's defiance escalated as he addressed the defense attorney directly. 'You ask me something I don't wanna talk about, you're gonna have a problem. Treat me as a hostile witness,' he said. 'You're not gonna talk to me and tell me as a grown man what I have to do up here. I'm not gonna send him to prison, you are.' He added, 'I don't want to send him to prison, even though we don't like each other.'

Prosecutors allege that Davis, though not the trigger man, was a ringleader in the group responsible for the fatal shooting. On September 7, 1996, Shakur and Knight were shot at while waiting at a red light in Las Vegas. Knight survived, but Shakur died six days later on September 13, at age 25, after a bullet entered his lung. Davis has denied the charges and maintains he was not in Nevada that night.

Legal proceedings and potential sentence

Davis was arrested on September 29, 2023, after a search of his home by the Las Vegas police department on July 18, 2023, in connection with the case. He was charged with murder with a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further or assist a criminal gang. If convicted, he faces life imprisonment without parole. The trial is expected to last four to six weeks.

Shakur had attended the Bruce Seldon vs. Mike Tyson boxing match at the MGM Grand with Knight earlier that night. Later, while driving in a black BMW sedan as part of a convoy, a white Cadillac pulled up alongside and opened fire, striking Shakur four times. The trial continues to draw intense public attention, with McDonald's testimony marking a volatile turn in proceedings.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration