Leon Black Faces Contempt for Epstein House Transfer
Leon Black Contempt Over Epstein House Transfer

Billionaire financier Leon Black was held in contempt of court on Wednesday for transferring a New York townhouse once owned by convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein to a family trust, in violation of a court order. The ruling by New York State Supreme Court Justice Arlene P. Bluth marks a significant escalation in the legal battle over the property, which has been at the center of litigation since Epstein's death in 2019.

Court Ruling and Contempt Finding

Justice Bluth found that Black, the co-founder of private equity firm Apollo Global Management, had deliberately transferred the townhouse at 9 East 71st Street in Manhattan to a trust controlled by his family in December 2023, despite a court order freezing the asset. The property, valued at approximately $55 million, was part of Epstein's estate and had been sold to Black in 2020 for $51 million, a transaction that the court later ruled was improper.

According to the ruling, Black's actions were a "clear and willful violation" of the court's order, which was issued to preserve the asset pending litigation over its ownership. The judge ordered Black to pay a fine of $10,000 per day until the property is returned to the court's control. Black's legal team argued that the transfer was a routine estate planning move and not intended to evade the court's authority, but the judge rejected that defense, citing the explicit terms of the freeze order.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Background of the Epstein Townhouse

The townhouse, a six-story limestone mansion in Manhattan's Upper East Side, was a central piece of Epstein's real estate portfolio. It was where Epstein allegedly conducted many of his illicit activities, as detailed in court documents and media reports. After Epstein's death in a federal jail in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges, the property became the subject of multiple legal claims, including from victims seeking compensation from his estate.

Black purchased the property in 2020, a move that drew scrutiny because the sale was conducted at a price below market value and without proper court approval. The U.S. Virgin Islands, where Epstein also owned properties, and several victims' lawyers challenged the sale, arguing that it was a fraudulent transfer designed to shield assets from creditors. In 2022, a New York court ruled that the sale was void and ordered the property to be returned to Epstein's estate, but Black appealed the decision, leading to the ongoing litigation.

Legal and Financial Implications

The contempt ruling could have broader implications for Black, who has faced increased scrutiny over his ties to Epstein. In 2021, Black stepped down as chairman of Apollo Global Management after an internal investigation found that he had paid Epstein $158 million for tax and estate planning advice, a relationship that Black has said he regrets. The investigation, conducted by the law firm Dechert LLP, concluded that Black had not engaged in any illegal activity, but it damaged his reputation and led to calls for greater transparency from investors.

Under the contempt order, Black must pay the daily fine until the property is transferred back to the court-appointed receiver, or face additional sanctions, including potential imprisonment. The judge also ordered Black to pay the legal fees incurred by the plaintiffs in seeking the contempt finding. As of Thursday, Black had not indicated whether he would comply with the order or seek an appeal.

Reactions and Next Steps

Lawyers for the Epstein victims praised the ruling, calling it a "necessary step to hold powerful individuals accountable." One attorney, speaking on condition of anonymity, said, "This decision sends a clear message that no one is above the law, no matter how wealthy or connected." Black's legal team declined to comment on the specifics of the ruling but said they were reviewing their options.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Virgin Islands government, which has been pursuing its own claims against Epstein's estate, said it would monitor the case closely. The property is expected to be sold, with proceeds going to compensate Epstein's victims, as part of a broader settlement reached in 2023. The contempt ruling ensures that the townhouse remains a central asset in that process, and any further delays could prolong the legal proceedings for years.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration