Mourners carried the coffin of Amal Khalil during her funeral in Baisariyeh, Lebanon, on Thursday. The Lebanese journalist was killed in an Israeli attack on Wednesday, having previously spoken of receiving a death threat via an unidentified Israeli phone number. She was warned to leave southern Lebanon or be killed.
Background of the Victim
Amal Khalil, 43, worked for al-Akhbar newspaper and described herself as supporting the resistance against Israel. She was killed in a sustained attack by Israeli forces in which a colleague was also wounded. Rescuers attempting to dig her out of the rubble were also targeted and prevented from providing life-saving assistance.
Attack Details
According to her employer and the Lebanese health ministry, Khalil was working in the village of al-Tiri when her vehicle was hit by an Israeli airstrike, killing two people and wounding her and freelance photographer Zeinab Faraj. They took cover in a house, which was then hit by another airstrike. Rescue workers recovered Faraj, but Khalil was trapped under rubble for hours as Israeli forces fired on those attempting to free her.
The Union of Journalists in Lebanon said that when medics attempted to rescue Khalil, Israeli forces prevented access and used stun grenades. Her body was retrieved shortly before midnight, at least six hours after the strike.
International Condemnation
Lebanon’s prime minister, Nawaf Salam, described the targeting of journalists and obstruction of relief efforts as war crimes. International media rights organizations expressed outrage. Reporters without Borders condemned the killing, with executive director Clayton Weimer stating that the IDF received requests to allow ambulances to reach Khalil but did not comply.
The Committee to Protect Journalists also condemned the attack, calling it a grave breach of international humanitarian law. Regional director Sara Qudah said the obstruction of medical crews is a brutal and recurring crime witnessed in Gaza and now Lebanon.
Death Threat
In 2024, Khalil told local media she had received an Israeli death threat warning her to leave the south and threatening to destroy her home and decapitate her. The message, allegedly sent from an Israeli phone number, included details of her recent movements and said: “We know where you are and we will reach you when the time comes.”
Broader Context
Khalil was the ninth journalist killed in Lebanon this year. Last month, three journalists were killed in a double-tap attack. Meanwhile, an investigation by Haaretz found that Israeli soldiers in southern Lebanon have been involved in widespread looting of motorcycles, televisions, paintings, sofas, and rugs.
Israel denied targeting journalists or preventing rescue teams from reaching the area, saying the incident is under review. The IDF claimed it identified two vehicles that had departed from a military structure used by Hezbollah, without providing evidence.



