FBI Raids Ex-Congressman Eric Swalwell’s Home Amid Sexual Assault Inquiry
FBI Raids Eric Swalwell’s Home Over Sexual Assault Claims

Federal agents searched the Washington DC home of former California Democratic Representative Eric Swalwell on Sunday amid an ongoing law enforcement investigation into sexual assault allegations, authorities have confirmed. CNN reported that federal agents on Saturday also “seized electronic devices” from Swalwell at the San Francisco airport, citing unnamed sources familiar with the investigation. Multiple other outlets have confirmed the federal search; the Daily Mail was the first to report this law enforcement activity.

Details of the FBI Search and Seizure

The search of Swalwell’s residence took place on Sunday, with agents reportedly seizing materials as part of the probe. The Saturday seizure of electronic devices at the San Francisco airport adds a further layer to the investigation. Attorneys who have represented Swalwell could not immediately be reached for comment. Swalwell has denied allegations of sexual assault.

Swalwell resigned from Congress following multiple allegations of sexual assault and misconduct that thwarted his campaign for governor. Before stepping down, he faced extensive bipartisan demands for him to resign or face an expulsion vote.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Swalwell’s Resignation and Public Statement

“I am deeply sorry to my family, staff, and constituents for mistakes in judgment I’ve made in my past,” Swalwell said in a statement posted to social media in April. “I will fight the serious false allegation made against me. However, I must take responsibility and ownership for the mistakes I did make.”

“Expelling anyone in Congress without due process, within days of an allegation being made, is wrong,” Swalwell had said, in reference to potential removal from office. “But it’s also wrong for my constituents to have me distracted from my duties. Therefore, I plan to resign my seat in Congress.”

Ethics Committee Investigation and DOJ Involvement

Swalwell’s resignation came after the US House ethics committee said it had launched an investigation into him. This bipartisan committee announced it would investigate “allegations that [Swalwell] may have engaged in sexual misconduct, including towards an employee working under his supervision”. CBS noted this investigation ended when Swalwell resigned, as the ethics committee “only has jurisdiction over current members and staff”.

The US Department of Justice opened an investigation into the disgraced legislator following his resignation, a source previously told the Guardian. Swalwell’s descent from gubernatorial frontrunner to investigative target started in April. The San Francisco Chronicle published an account from an unnamed ex-staffer, who alleged that he sexually assaulted her. CNN also had a similar report which featured allegations from three other women who claimed that Swalwell had sent them unwanted explicit text messages or photos.

Official Reactions and Declassified Documents

Asked about the search, the FBI declined to comment. The justice department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The White House on Monday disclosed declassified documents on an FBI investigation into Swalwell’s purported relationship with a possible spy more than 10 years ago. The FBI director, Kash Patel, had been reportedly pushing for the disclosure of files in this investigation, CBS News also reported.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration