Rebel Wilson entered the federal court on Wednesday to give evidence, stating she was preoccupied with the impending birth of her second child. The Hollywood star rejected an 'absolutely outrageous' accusation that she dumped her phone to avoid handing over key communications in a defamation case.
Background of the Case
The Pitch Perfect star is being sued by Charlotte MacInnes, the 27-year-old lead actor of Wilson's directorial debut, The Deb. MacInnes alleges she was defamed by Wilson in social media posts that suggested she is a liar who retracted a sexual harassment complaint to further her acting and music career.
Wilson claims MacInnes confided that she felt uncomfortable after the film's co-producer Amanda Ghost asked her to have a shower and a bath together in September 2023. 'I was pretty shocked by it,' Wilson told the federal court on Wednesday. 'I took it as a sexual harassment complaint.'
Phone Evidence Dispute
Wilson told the court her phone had been stolen in London, preventing her from handing over crucial communications requested by MacInnes' legal team. Some of her text chains hadn't been backed up, she said. MacInnes' lawyer Sue Chrysanthou SC asked, 'Are you sure your phone was stolen and you didn't just dump it in a park?' Wilson's lawyer objected, but Wilson answered, 'That is absolutely outrageous.'
Text Message Exchange
Wilson was questioned about a text exchange with MacInnes in May 2023 after inviting her to a theatre production. MacInnes blamed a lack of wi-fi for not responding and said she dined with Ghost instead. Wilson replied, 'In the future, it is terribly rude to say you wanted a ticket to a show and then you don't reply or follow up … not a great start to our working relationship.' Wilson rejected suggestions that the text was bullying, saying, 'I don't regard one text message as bullying.'
Sexual Harassment Allegations
Wilson described the alleged sexual harassment incident as an 'absolute nightmare situation' and said MacInnes later 'flip-flopped' on her complaint. Chrysanthou noted MacInnes consistently denied making a complaint and suggested Wilson made up the comments. Wilson rejected this, saying, 'It would not at all be in my interest to make up a sexual harassment complaint.' She suggested someone spoke to MacInnes to change her story before a phone call where MacInnes said she was not uncomfortable.
Further Allegations
Wilson has also denied bullying and harassing MacInnes, saying she considers herself a champion of women. MacInnes alleges her Snapchat account was breached and a nude photo leaked, claiming Wilson orchestrated it. Evidence to support this claim has not yet been aired in court.
As Wilson entered the courthouse, she told reporters, 'If I seem a bit anxious, it's because any day my second child may be born, hopefully not today.'



