Teen's Death Prompts Warning Over Post-18 Safeguarding Gaps
Teen's Death Prompts Warning Over Post-18 Safeguarding

A coroner has warned that a teenager killed by her abusive partner was not given sufficient protection after she turned 18. Natasha Hill, 18, died from a major head injury at the home of Scott Clifford, 34, in Thamesmead, south-east London, in 2018. In a report sent to the Home Office, the National Police Chief’s Council and the Department for Education, senior coroner Dr Julian Morris identified gaps in safeguarding Natasha after she reached adulthood.

Child Abduction Warning Notice Lapsed

Clifford had been subject to a child abduction warning notice after Natasha was assessed to be at high risk. However, the notice automatically lapsed when she turned 18. Within a week of her 18th birthday, she moved in with Clifford. A child abduction warning notice holds no legal force but intends to warn a person that they may commit an offence if they continue with their behaviour.

Dr Morris said: “Natasha had ongoing, regular injuries, the level of violence increasing post Natasha turning 18, requiring hospital treatment. The police tried to locate her abuser. He could not be found. Natasha was pronounced dead at his home address in the early hours of April 15 2018.”

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Background and Incident

Natasha had been in care from a young age before she was moved to semi-independent living where she began to be groomed by Clifford. She was found with a major head injury on April 15 2018, and Clifford told police she had fallen down the stairs after spending the day drinking. He said he carried her back upstairs after her fall as he had not noticed any injuries.

Clifford was convicted in 2019 of murder and three other assaults on Natasha and was jailed for at least 17 years. Dr Morris, who led an inquest into Natasha’s death, warned authorities that further deaths could occur if action is not taken.

Coroner’s Recommendations

He said teenagers approaching 18 should be formally reviewed by an adult safeguarding team and thought should be given to creating a young person’s team covering the transition from 18 to 22. The coroner also said thought should be given to creating a warning notice which can cover young people over the age of 18. And he suggested the creation of a single national policy for policing and child sexual exploitation.

Official Responses

In a response to Dr Morris’s report, the Home Office said tackling violence against women and girls is a top government priority and they are working to create a consistent, victim-centred response to child sexual exploitation. A spokesperson for the National Police Chiefs’ Council said the support provided to Natasha had been “fragmented rather than integrated” and challenges were posed by her moving between local authority and policing areas. They said: “If a case with the same horrific circumstances experienced by Natasha presented today, safeguarding partners would be expected to adopt a fundamentally different approach, recognising that vulnerability, exploitation and coercive control do not cease when a young person reaches adulthood.” The Department for Education said they are working to improve transitions into adult social care and improve integration between different local areas.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration