Man charged with assaulting Brixton officer during weapon search
Man charged with assaulting Brixton officer in weapon search

The Metropolitan Police have charged a man in connection with an assault on an officer during a weapon search in Brixton. Jason Rennox, 45, of Wenlock Street, Hackney, faces one count of assaulting a constable in the execution of duty, according to a statement from the force.

The incident occurred on Thursday, August 13, at approximately 9pm, when officers on patrol approached a large group of males in the Brixton area. The group attempted to leave, prompting officers to request additional support, the Met said.

Officer assaulted during stop and search

During the operation, officers attempted to detain a boy for the purpose of a weapon search. At that point, a man allegedly approached the officers and assaulted one of them. The suspect was arrested at the scene and later charged, the force confirmed.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Rennox has been bailed to appear at Croydon Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, September 9. The charge relates to the assault on the officer, which took place while the officer was carrying out his duties.

Met Police statement on the arrest

A Met Police spokesperson said: “A man has been charged after assaulting a police officer in Brixton. Jason Rennox, 45, of Wenlock Street, Hackney, was charged with assaulting a constable in the execution of duty on Thursday, August 13, after being arrested earlier that day.

“He has been bailed to appear at Croydon Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, September 9. On Thursday, August 13, at around 9pm, officers on patrol in Brixton approached a large group of males. The group attempted to leave, prompting officers to request additional support.

“Officers attempted to detain a boy for the purposes of a weapon search. While doing so, a man approached them and assaulted one of the officers. He was subsequently arrested and later charged, as above.”

Court appearance scheduled

The case is scheduled to be heard at Croydon Magistrates’ Court in early September, where Rennox will answer to the charge. The Met has not released further details about the incident, and no additional information is available at this time.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration