Four in water difficulty triggers major Shoreham sea rescue
Four in water difficulty triggers Shoreham sea rescue

Emergency services launched a major rescue operation on Tuesday afternoon after four individuals were reported to be in difficulty in the water off the Sussex coastline near Shoreham Fort. Multiple ambulances and two air ambulances were deployed to the scene, and a section of the A259 was closed as the incident unfolded.

Emergency Response and Road Closures

A Sussex Police spokesperson said: "Emergency services are currently responding to reports of four people in difficulty in the water close to Shoreham Fort." The spokesperson added that a section of the A259 in Shoreham had been closed and urged the public to stay clear of the area. "We will provide more information as soon as we are able to," they said.

The A259 Brighton Road was shut in both directions between New Road and Kingston Lane due to the incident. An ambulance was observed leaving the location under police escort with emergency lights activated, according to eyewitness reports.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Coastguard and RNLI Involvement

An HM Coastguard spokesman confirmed that the coastguard responded to an incident reported at Shoreham at about 2.45pm on 18 August. An HM Coastguard helicopter was sent, along with Littlehampton, Shoreham and Newhaven Coastguard Rescue Teams, and an RNLI lifeboat from Shoreham.

An RNLI spokesman said: "Shoreham RNLI were tasked by HM Coastguard at approximately 3pm on Tuesday 18 August." The coastguard spokesman added: "Sussex Police and South East Coast Ambulance Service also attended."

Ambulance Service Confirms Callout

The South East Coast Ambulance Service confirmed they were responding to reports that four people required medical assistance after experiencing difficulties in the water near Shoreham Harbour. A spokeswoman said: "We were called shortly after 3pm and have a number of ambulance resources at the scene." She added: "We have no further information to share at this time but will provide updates as soon as possible."

The incident remains ongoing, with emergency services continuing to work at the scene. The public has been advised to avoid the area while the response continues.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration