Wembley Stadium Criticized for Fireworks During Wildfire Alert
Wembley Fireworks During Wildfire Alert Sparks Criticism

Wembley Stadium has faced criticism for proceeding with a fireworks display during The Weeknd's concert on Friday, August 14, despite a government emergency alert earlier that day warning of a "severe" risk of wildfires across England and Wales. The alert explicitly advised against activities that could start fires, including fireworks, but the stadium went ahead with the pyrotechnics as part of the closing track 'Moth To A Flame'.

The concert was the first of five nights at the Brent venue, and the fireworks were set off just hours after the emergency alert was sent to phones across the country. The government message stated: "Residents, landowners and visitors should not undertake any activity that could start a fire, including disposable barbecues, firepits, garden incinerators or fireworks. Even a small flame can rapidly develop into a major wildfire placing lives, homes, businesses and emergency responders at risk."

Local Concerns and Criticism

Some attendees and local residents questioned the decision, with one Brent resident on social media platform X asking: "Do you think it’s appropriate to allow a massive firework display for The Weeknd concert following a national alert asking people not to? The embers can fly for considerable distance and the area is tinderbox dry." The resident's comment highlighted fears about the dry conditions, which have already led to grass fires, such as one in Rainham on July 29 that spread due to extremely dry conditions.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Cllr Anton Georgiou, representative for nearby Alperton, described the decision as "terrible optics" and dangerous. He said: "The government sent an emergency alert that was very explicit about the use of fireworks. Why then did Wembley Stadium think it was a good idea to allow a fireworks display at the national stadium? Terrible optics and dangerous."

Stadium's Response and Safety Measures

A Wembley Stadium spokesperson defended the display, stating that venue officials had held a meeting with on-site members of the Metropolitan Police and London Fire Brigade after the alert was received. The spokesperson said: "The firework display was a controlled performance, delivered within the Wembley Stadium footprint and subject to the stadium’s established safety procedures. All pyrotechnics at Wembley are designed, operated and managed by specialist professionals in accordance with the stadium’s pyrotechnics policy. The stadium also has a team of fire safety experts on site for every event."

Brent Council also responded, with a spokesperson saying: "Given the government's emergency alert, we sought and have received assurances from Wembley Stadium about its approach to fireworks during this event, including consulting with the London Fire Brigade." The council's statement indicated that they had engaged with the stadium to ensure safety measures were in place.

Government Measures and Ongoing Risk

The government alert was a safety guidance message, and while it has introduced a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues, it has not extended this ban to fireworks. The lack of a formal ban on fireworks may have contributed to the stadium's decision to proceed, but critics argue that the explicit warning should have been heeded.

The incident has sparked a broader debate about the appropriateness of fireworks during periods of extreme fire risk, especially in areas like London that have experienced dry conditions. As The Weeknd's remaining four concerts at Wembley are scheduled to continue, questions remain about whether future performances will include fireworks, though the stadium has not announced any changes to its plans.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration