Wrong-way motorway drivers prosecuted weekly in England and Wales
Wrong-way motorway drivers prosecuted weekly in England and Wales

Court papers reveal that 31 drivers have been charged by police with criminal offences involving driving in the wrong direction on motorways in England and Wales over the past 30 weeks, equating to more than one prosecution per week. The cases include motorists reversing along carriageways, pulling U-turns beside high-speed traffic, and driving backwards to reach a missed exit junction.

Recent cases highlight dangerous manoeuvres

In a recent court case, Ervis Hatellari, 38, from Woodford Green in north-east London, was convicted after being caught reversing a Nissan Qashqai along the M11 in Essex. Sergeant Philip Roberts from Essex Police said the incident occurred at around 10pm on New Year's Eve 2025 when he saw the car 'in the hard shoulder and half in lane one of the M11, with reverse lights on, backing up to junction five'. When Hatellari was pulled over, it turned out his driving licence had been revoked and the vehicle was being driven while uninsured. At Chelmsford Magistrates Court on July 27, Hatellari was fined £660, banned from driving for a year, and ordered to pay £120 costs and a £264 victim surcharge.

In another case, van driver Daniel Udrescu, 57, apologised for a 'moment of poor judgment' when he was caught reversing up the slip road for the M6 toll motorway in Cannock, Staffordshire. He told police when pulled over at around 10.30pm on April 29 that he was 'attempting to get to Glasgow and went the wrong way'. The officer also spotted that the driver's seat belt was clipped in place, indicating Udrescu was not wearing it while driving. He pleaded guilty last month to both offences at Birmingham Magistrates' Court and was handed three penalty points, a £445 fine, £120 in costs, and a £178 victim surcharge.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

NHS worker caught in M61 escape attempt

In a third case, Innocent Ayodele, 32, an NHS worker from Manchester, apologised to a court in May after he was caught trying to escape a traffic jam on the M61 by driving the wrong way up an entry slip road. PC Peter Weatherstone from Greater Manchester Police told the court he spoke to Ayodele to ask 'what he was playing at driving the wrong way'. 'I could see another driver at the side of another vehicle whom he could have struck,' he wrote in his statement. 'I pointed out the dangers of such behaviour, but the driver seemed totally blatant in his necessary to do this simply because he had finished worked and wanted to get home.' Ayodele told Preston Magistrates' Court he was trying to get home to his pregnant wife, but with nine penalty points already on his licence he could now face a ban when he is sentenced.

Broader data and official response

The update comes days after five teenagers died in a catastrophic collision on the M9 in Co Kildare when their BMW crashed while driving the wrong way in a bid to get away from police. Three sisters and a seven-year-old boy in the other car are still critically injured in hospital. In June, National Highways data revealed that 947 incidents involving 'oncoming vehicles' on England's motorways had been logged in the 12 months to May 11.

National Highways said its data showing 947 incidents of wrong-way driving could include unconfirmed reports, and it insisted 'confirmed incidents of wrong‑way driving on motorways remain rare. Every report is treated seriously and acted on quickly'. Steve Gooding, director of motoring research charity the RAC Foundation, said: 'To think anyone could drive the wrong way onto a motorway heading into fast-moving traffic is truly the stuff of nightmares.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration