Ilja Dragunov Leaves WWE After 7 Years, Fans Call It a Major 'Fumble'
Ilja Dragunov Leaves WWE After 7 Years, Fans Call It a 'Fumble'

Ilja Dragunov, the 32-year-old professional wrestler known as the Mad Dragon, has left WWE after seven years with the company. On Thursday, he was moved to the alumni section of WWE.com, and a report from PWInsider confirmed that his contract had expired. Dragunov, born in Russia and raised in Berlin, made his name across the UK and Europe before signing with WWE in 2019.

Championship Success and Accolades

During his tenure, Dragunov won the United States Championship, the NXT Championship, and the United Kingdom Championship. In 2023, he was named Male Superstar of the Year in the official NXT Year-End Awards, and his match against Carmelo Hayes at NXT No Mercy won Match of the Year. Despite these achievements, fans have expressed frustration that WWE did not utilize him more effectively.

His final WWE match was the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal on the eve of WrestleMania 42 in April. Late last year, Dragunov had a notable run on SmackDown, defeating Sami Zayn for the United States Title on October 17 in his first match back after over a year of injury. He held the title until losing it to Carmelo Hayes on December 19, after eight successful title defenses in a series of match-of-the-year contenders.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Fan Reaction: 'How Did WWE Fumble This Badly?'

Fans have taken to social media to express their disappointment. User BrBl112 wrote, 'Bro how did WWE fumble this badly. I have mad respect for Ilja, I hope he finds MAJOR success wherever he ends up. Sad that his talent was wasted.' X user @undeniableheel agreed, saying, 'Imagine fumbling a talent like Ilja Dragunov.' Others said they were 'speechless' over his departure. Many fans pointed out that WWE never booked a main roster feud between Dragunov and GUNTHER, despite their epic battles on the independent scene and NXT UK. @WrasslinDragons ranted: 'It is an absolute, utter, unforgivable, inexcusable shame that we never got Gunther vs Ilja Dragunov on the main roster. What a fumble.'

Dragunov's Philosophy on His In-Ring Style

In a previous interview with Metro, Dragunov spoke about his commitment to his signature brutal in-ring style. He said, 'There's a certain way to my persona to carry myself, and how I compete and how I fight and how I do the things that I do, and if I can't do them that way anymore, where is the sense, right? I don't do that for just like, I don't know, fame or being like a celebrity or whatever, I just do that because I can fully express myself in this business. That is my reason. Number one.'

What's Next for the Mad Dragon?

Metro's WWE expert Alistair McGeorge noted that Dragunov had all the potential and talent to be a major player in the company, and his run as United States Champion was a highlight of SmackDown in 2025. McGeorge suggested that if WWE had booked a main roster feud with GUNTHER, it would have been a ready-made headliner for European PLEs. He added that it remains to be seen where Dragunov will go from here, but if Tony Khan is smart, he would already be trying to tempt him to AEW in time for All In London at Wembley Stadium on August 31.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration