The body of missing teenager Lily Hooper has been discovered in Australian bushland after New South Wales Premier Chris Minns mistakenly announced she had been found alive, sparking a brief wave of hope that was quickly dashed.
Search and False Announcement
Lily Hooper, 18, disappeared after setting off for a hike in Nattai National Park, approximately 90 miles south-west of Sydney, on Wednesday, August 12. Her family raised the alarm after she failed to return home, despite being in contact with them throughout the day. A major search operation was launched, involving police, volunteers, and around 100 soldiers.
On Thursday, Premier Chris Minns was attending a parliamentary hearing when he was handed a note indicating the teenager had been found. He announced the news to the room, stating: 'We've got some fantastic news, Mr Chair – Lily Hooper has been found alive.' He further claimed she had been located in the bush with half a bottle of water, and the apparent rescue was quickly reported by media outlets in Australia.
Correction and Devastating News
Shortly after his initial announcement, Minns corrected himself, saying: 'I've got some terrible news. It seems as if the earlier advice was wrong. Lily's body has been found. This is obviously devastating and I'm just profoundly sad for her family and all those concerned.'
Lily had left her home in Oakdale, near Sydney, at 8am on August 12. Her car was found at 11pm the same day at a picnic ground at the base of Bonnum Pic, a walking trail for experienced hikers. The area is covered by dense eucalyptus forest, sandstone cliffs, and deep ravines, with rescuers describing the terrain as 'incredibly rough'. Lily's family had joined the search as rescuers remained hopeful that her experience in the bush would help her survive.
Communication Breakdown and Investigation
New South Wales Police assistant commissioner Joseph Cassar explained that Lily's parents had initially been told rescuers believed their daughter had been found alive. Volunteers searching through the thick terrain were dealing with communication difficulties and had contacted the command post after locating her. However, an updated report was sent around eight to 10 minutes later, confirming that she had died, with Lily's parents then being informed.
'If we were able to provide them more detailed information on that first report, I can tell you that would have been the case,' Cassar said. 'If I could turn the clock back, I would certainly.' Police and government officials are now investigating how the incorrect information was passed on.
Next Steps
New South Wales Police said the woman's body found in the search area had yet to be formally identified, but it is believed to be that of Lily's. Police will now prepare a report for the coroner.



