Harry and Meghan's UK security funding is a private matter, says Burnham
Harry and Meghan's UK security funding private, says Burnham

Prime Minister Andy Burnham has stated that security funding for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex upon their return to the UK this month is a "private matter." The couple's planned relocation from the US to a non-royal residence outside London was announced Wednesday night, surprising many, including King Charles, who was informed only three days prior.

During a visit to West Yorkshire, Burnham told reporters: "Well, this is a private matter. It's a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the moves that they're making."

Background on the Sussexes' return and security legal battle

The couple moved to California in 2020 but are now returning to the UK. Harry has been engaged in a protracted legal battle with the Home Office over security arrangements for himself and his family, following a change in his protection level after stepping down as a working royal in 2020. At the end of June, he was still awaiting a review by the risk management board, part of the process by which the executive committee for the protection of royalty and public figures rules on his security requirements. His private security staff were working to ensure a safe visit in July could take place. No further details about UK security arrangements have been made public.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Harry and Meghan, along with their children Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are expected to relocate later in August. The children are already enrolled at a British school.

Royal family dynamics and future implications

The Sussexes had a reunion with King Charles last month at Highgrove in Gloucestershire. The king is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of his family in a personal capacity, but there will be no change in their status as private individuals. No official comment has come from the Sussexes.

The Prince and Princess of Wales are said to have been informed of the decision. Prince William remains estranged from his brother over criticism the Sussexes have aimed at him, Catherine, Charles, and Camilla since their departure from the UK. Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt suggested the couple's return would leave William, the future king, "apoplectic." Hunt told the Press Association: "In the long term, the return of the Sussexes to the UK opens up the prospect of two rival courts: William's and Harry's. In the short term, Harry will be able to deepen his rapprochement with his father. And his presence back home will make it harder for his brother to duck a reconciliation. The surprise return of Harry and Meghan is likely to have left William apoplectic."

No half-in half-out option and future plans

It is understood Harry and Meghan will not be offered a "half-in half-out" option in terms of royal roles. That option was firmly rejected by the late Queen Elizabeth II at the so-called Sandringham summit in 2020, which thrashed out the terms of their departure from the UK and resulted in them officially stepping down as senior royals and no longer using their HRH titles. The Sussexes will retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, and Meghan will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new base.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration