The grieving mother of a young man who was chased down a South London alley and brutally stabbed to death has spoken of her anguish after five gang members were jailed for a combined 107 years. Giovanny Bedoya, 21, was found with multiple stab wounds behind flats on Hillingdon Street in Walworth and died at the scene on April 14, 2025.
Mother's Statement
In a poignant victim impact statement, Giovanny's mother expressed her incomprehension at the attack. “I want the world to know that my son was innocent. He was not fighting with anyone. He came out of his address and within seconds, was met with violence. He was not carrying a weapon. He did not go out to harm anyone. The five people guilty for his murder however intended to do just that, and for whatever reason they chose my son, they took away his life in the most brutal of ways,” she said.
She added that her son was killed in a country she does not know and where she does not speak the language, leaving her extremely vulnerable. “Every time my phone has rung from an overseas number, my heart skipped a beat and I would answer tentatively, in fear of hearing more bad news.” She thanked the police team for their dedication.
Sentences Handed Down
The five men were sentenced at the Old Bailey on Wednesday, May 20, after being convicted of murder on April 14 following an 11-week trial. Joseph Jimenez, 22, received life with a minimum of 22 years. Angel Gonzalez Angulo, 19, of Camberwell Church Street, got life with a minimum of 21 years. Bryan Villada Hernandez, 20, of Langdale Close, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 21 years. Zozoro Mohamed Olivier Boizo, 21, of Lorrimore Square, received life with a minimum of 21 years. Christian Batista Gonzalez, 22, of Moyers Road, was sentenced to life with a minimum of 22 years.
Investigation Details
Detectives from the Met Police conducted an extensive investigation, reviewing over 1,500 hours of CCTV footage. Officers were called at 9:16 pm to reports of a group fighting with knives near Hillingdon Street and Langdale Close. They found Giovanny behind residential flats with multiple stab wounds; he was pronounced dead at 10:07 pm. A post-mortem revealed multiple sharp-force injuries. Enquiries showed he had been chased through an alleyway before being cornered and attacked.
Arrests and Evidence
Hernandez was arrested at the scene; forensic examination found the victim's blood on his clothing and damage consistent with concealing a knife. Messages on his phone discussed destroying evidence. CCTV from a nearby premises linked the group to the attack and to a squat on Langdale Close. Angulo and Boizo were captured on CCTV changing clothes and carrying a bin bag after the attack, later taking a taxi to a friend's home. Jimenez was arrested on April 21 in Chichester after fleeing London. Angulo was arrested on April 23, Boizo on May 2. Gonzalez fled to Spain and was arrested near Barcelona on May 19, then extradited.
Police Condemnation
Detective Chief Inspector Kate Blackburn, who led the investigation, said: “Today’s sentences show that those who commit vicious and brutal attacks will face significant, life-altering consequences. The group acted together during a sustained and extremely violent attack, chasing and killing Giovanny, showing brutality and reckless violence.” She thanked the Walworth community for their support and said the Met remains committed to taking dangerous offenders off the streets.



