MAFS UK Episode Aired Despite Groom's Arrest for Domestic Violence
MAFS UK Episode Aired Despite Groom's Arrest for DV

A Married at First Sight UK contestant's episode aired on Channel 4 while he was reportedly on bail for domestic violence allegations, sparking controversy over the show's safeguarding procedures.

Background of the Incident

The contributor, who has not been named for legal reasons, is said to have been arrested for an allegation that he assaulted his ex-partner five days before his appearance on the show aired. The alleged victim reportedly suffered black eyes and broken ribs, and also claims that her ex attacked her dog.

Channel 4's Response

It has been reported that Channel 4 were told by the alleged victim's family that the man had been arrested, but producers decided to go ahead with airing the programme. A senior executive is reported to have told the family, 'We are not judge and jury', according to a report in The Sun. The man was not charged and was later told by police, following an investigation, that he would face no further action, according to a statement from Channel 4.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

In an email reportedly seen by The Sun, a representative of the broadcaster is said to have stated that MAFS UK stars are 'subject to a rigorous, stringent vetting process' and the man's DBS check had come back clear. They also allegedly said that the welfare concerns were being taken seriously and were reportedly put in touch with a show executive.

Victim's Reaction

The alleged victim reportedly told friends she 'felt sick' seeing her ex in trailers for his appearance on MAFS UK. A friend of the family told The Sun: 'They tried to warn Channel 4 that the contestant had been arrested over domestic violence accusations and that they should axe the episode but they were ignored. It seemed like bosses were more worried about their ratings. Contestant welfare should take priority. There should have been a more rigorous safeguarding system. This show needs to be shut down.'

Channel 4's Official Statement

Channel 4 said in a statement to Metro: 'The allegations against this individual were not related to his time on the show. He was arrested after filming had completed, not charged, and following an investigation the police took no further action. The allegations were reported on by the press at the time.'

Broader Context

This incident comes after Channel 4 has decided to press ahead with making the upcoming all-star spin-off of MAFS UK, following the BBC's reporting of two women's claims that they were raped while filming the dating show, as well as a third woman's allegation that she had been assaulted. The broadcaster reportedly held crisis talks on Monday over the BBC investigation, with all previous seasons of the show removed from streaming.

The controversy has reignited debates about the duty of care in reality television and the balance between ratings and participant safety. Critics argue that more robust safeguarding measures are needed to prevent such situations from occurring in the future.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration