Federal prosecutors have decided to drop all remaining criminal charges against four individuals indicted in October after protesting outside a suburban Chicago immigration detention center, marking the latest case to unravel for the Trump administration.
Prosecutorial Misconduct Revealed
Andrew Boutros, a US attorney, made the announcement on Thursday after a meeting regarding redactions made by prosecutors to a set of grand jury transcripts. Boutros informed US District Judge April Perry that he had learned of the redactions three weeks earlier.
Perry expressed being "incredibly shocked" by the government's redactions, stating she had never seen "the types of prosecutorial behavior before a grand jury that I saw in those transcripts." She added that "trust has been broken."
Boutros acknowledged the conduct was unacceptable but maintained that the protesters' actions were "unacceptable in a civilized society."
The Broadview Six Case
The four protesters – Democratic congressional candidate Kat Abughazaleh, Michael Rabbitt, Andre Martin, and Brian Straw – were charged in October with conspiring to impede an officer, a felony, at the immigration detention center in Broadview, Illinois. They were among six charged demonstrators known as the Broadview Six.
Prosecutors alleged the group surrounded an immigration agent's van during Operation Midway Blitz, part of the immigration crackdown mounted by Donald Trump's administration after his second presidency began. The demonstrators were accused of banging on the vehicle, scratching the word "pig" on it, and breaking a rear windshield wiper during a protest in September. They faced teargas, pepper balls, and rubber pellets during the demonstrations.
The prosecutions began to fall apart in April when questions about grand jury transcripts surfaced, and prosecutors declined to file further allegations. Charges against two defendants had been dropped before Thursday. The remaining four faced misdemeanor charges of impeding a federal officer, though conspiracy charges were dismissed.
The case, scheduled for a hearing after Memorial Day, has now been dismissed with prejudice, meaning charges cannot be refiled.
Legal and Political Implications
The collapse of the case is a setback for the government, which had positioned it as a centerpiece in legal battles over the right to protest and claims that demonstrators illegally interfered with law enforcement operations.
Attorneys for the protesters said they would seek copies of the unredacted grand jury transcripts. Josh Herman, Abughazaleh's defense attorney, stated: "The revelations of the grand jury misconduct that led to the dismissal of the charges is sadly not surprising. This misguided case should have never been brought against Kat Abughazaleh or any of her co-defendants for exercising their protected first amendment rights."
Attorneys for Martin said in a statement that their client and co-defendants had been "living under the threat of going to prison simply for exercising their first amendment rights as decent, honorable citizens and seeking to protect their fellow human beings."
Judge Perry is considering holding a hearing on possible sanctions for the US attorney's office. Boutros did not dispute the allegations, saying the conduct was upsetting and the reason for dismissal.
Related Cases
Thursday's developments came after Illinois state police investigated the death of Silverio Villegas Gonzalez, shot by an ICE agent in Franklin Park. On November 20, the Chicago US attorney's office dropped charges against Marimar Martinez, shot five times by a border patrol agent after allegedly trying to ram agents. In January, a Chicago jury acquitted Juan Espinoza Martinez, charged with plotting to kill a border patrol official.



