British Tourist Detained by ICE for Six Weeks Despite Valid Visa
UK Tourist Held by ICE for Six Weeks with Valid Visa

British Tourist Detained by ICE for Six Weeks Despite Valid Visa

Karen Newton, a 65-year-old grandmother from Hertfordshire, embarked on what she thought would be the trip of a lifetime to the United States in late July 2025. With a British passport and a valid tourist visa, she and her husband, Bill, 66, planned a two-month journey through California, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, and Canada. However, their dream holiday turned into a nightmare when they were detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for six weeks, despite Karen having all the necessary paperwork.

The Abrupt End to a Dream Holiday

The Newtons' troubles began on September 26, 2025, as they attempted to cross from Montana into Canada. Canadian officials informed them they lacked the correct paperwork to bring their car across the border, forcing them to return to the U.S. side. There, U.S. border control agents discovered that Bill's visa had expired, though Karen's was still valid. Initially, Karen worried only for her husband, assuming she would be allowed to support him. Instead, both were taken into custody, marking the start of a harrowing ordeal.

Karen, who has no criminal record and not even a parking ticket, was handcuffed, shackled, and transported to the Northwest ICE Processing Center in Tacoma, Washington. She spent 42 days in detention, sleeping on the floor of a cell for much of that time. "I am not a dangerous criminal," she insists. "I didn't enter the country illegally and I had everything I needed to be there."

Incentives for Detention?

During her incarceration, Karen learned from guards that ICE agents might be receiving bonuses for each person they detain. This aligns with the Trump administration's increased funding for ICE, which has seen its budget soar from $6 billion a decade ago to $85 billion. Since August 2024, new recruits have been offered signing-on bonuses of up to $50,000. Karen believes these incentives drive agents to detain even blameless tourists.

Following Donald Trump's second inauguration in January 2025, ICE was ordered to increase daily arrests from a few hundred to 1,200-1,500. Reports soon emerged of international travelers, including Germans, Canadians, and New Zealanders, being detained. Karen's case is particularly striking because she was held longer than most, despite being a retired tourist with no intent to work in the U.S.

The Detention Experience

At the Northwest ICE Processing Center, Karen was issued a grey sweatsuit and an ID wristband. She describes the facility as a prison, with locked doors, guards, and cells. Initially placed in a women's unit, she slept on a thin mattress on the floor due to her fear of heights and age. The unit had no windows, and constant lighting made it difficult to distinguish night from day, disorienting her sense of time.

Karen tried to occupy herself with jigsaw puzzles and books, but the environment was stressful. She heard traumatic stories from other detainees, many of whom had been separated from their children or held for over a year. "People think it is just criminals that are being deported, but they're just a lot of people who went there for a better life," she reflects.

Pressure to Self-Deport

ICE agents pressured Karen and Bill to volunteer for "self-removal" under Project Homecoming, a scheme offering a paid flight home and a cash bonus in exchange for waiving their right to a judge and accepting a ban from the U.S. for up to 10 years. Desperate to end the ordeal, they signed, only to find themselves detained for weeks longer. Karen received a $1,000 bonus, but Bill never got his promised payment.

Throughout her detention, Karen felt abandoned by the British consulate, which she says offered little help. Her son, Scott, contacted the UK Foreign Office, but was told release was impossible during a federal government shutdown from October 1 to November 12, 2025—a claim contradicted by the fact that ICE deported 56,000 people during that period.

Release and Aftermath

Karen was unexpectedly released on November 6, 2025, and reunited with Bill. They returned home to Hertfordshire to find their car battery dead, houseplants withered, and credit score damaged due to unpaid bills. Their luggage, confiscated at the border, was never returned, and Karen is still dealing with insurance claims for lost possessions.

Reflecting on her experience, Karen feels a renewed appreciation for freedom. "You only really appreciate your freedom when you've had it taken away," she says. However, she warns other tourists to avoid the U.S. under Trump's administration. "Don't go – not with Trump in charge. It's totally out of control over there."

Impact on US Tourism

Karen's case underscores broader issues affecting U.S. tourism. In 2025, international visits dropped by 4.5 million, with declines of 22% from Canada, 11% from Germany, and 15% from the UK. The World Travel & Tourism Council estimates this cost the U.S. $12.5 billion in lost revenue. With the 2026 FIFA World Cup approaching, Karen fears more travelers could face similar detentions. "If it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody," she cautions.

By sharing her story, Karen hopes to raise awareness and prevent others from enduring similar ordeals. Her experience highlights the unpredictable and harsh nature of current U.S. immigration enforcement, urging travelers to reconsider plans amid growing risks.