Shia LaBeouf has been formally charged with three misdemeanour counts of simple battery following his arrest in New Orleans in February. The 39-year-old actor was taken into custody after a bar brawl during Mardi Gras celebrations in the city's French Quarter.
Details of the Incident
On February 17, during the early hours of Mardi Gras, LaBeouf was reportedly on a bar crawl when he allegedly struck other men at a bar. He was arrested and required to post a $105,000 bond (approximately £78,000) after a judge learned he had been accused of using a homophobic slur during the altercation.
Prosecutors have decided not to pursue hate-crime charges, despite video evidence capturing the slurs. Attorney Michael Kennedy, representing one of the alleged victims, stated: 'The fact that the district attorney’s office is moving forward with this case when there is overwhelming evidence that a crime was committed should not be a surprise to anyone – because being a celebrity does not buy you special treatment in New Orleans.'
Witness Accounts
Local bar employees claimed LaBeouf arrived shirtless and without cash, appeared 'inebriated,' and asked staff, 'Do you know who I am?' One employee told The Hollywood Reporter that he was 'terrorising the city.' Footage and photos from the carnival showed LaBeouf after the alleged altercation outside a bar.
An eyewitness reported that LaBeouf was escorted out by staff for an unknown reason before engaging in a brawl. He then walked away but later returned to the bar. Emergency services provided medical attention before he was taken away in an ambulance with flashing lights.
Legal Proceedings
The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office has filed charges, as confirmed by local news station WWL. The New Orleans police department stated the case is now in the DA's hands. LaBeouf was allowed to remain out of jail on the condition that he undergo regular drug and alcohol testing and check into a rehabilitation facility.
LaBeouf's Response
In an interview 11 days after his arrest, LaBeouf admitted he was 'drunk' and felt 'infringed upon in terms of my proximity.' He acknowledged using inappropriate language, saying, 'I said words not okay to say. I don’t want to hurt nobody’s feelings…. I’m wrong for what I did.' However, he also remarked: 'Big gay people are scary to me. When I’m standing by myself and three gay dudes are next to me, touching my leg, I get scared. I’m sorry. If that’s homophobic then I’m that.'
Metro has contacted the Orleans DA and LaBeouf’s representatives for further comment.



