Funeral Directors Sentenced for Storing Bodies in Deplorable Conditions
Two funeral directors have been described as 'vile' and 'evil' after being jailed for leaving bodies to rot in unrefrigerated storage conditions. Richard Elkin, 49, and Hayley Bell, 42, operated Elkin and Bell Funerals in Gosport, Hampshire, where their mortuary room was recorded at 11.48°C—significantly above the recommended 4°C for proper body preservation.
Systematic Neglect and Financial Motives
During their trial at Portsmouth Crown Court, prosecutors revealed the pair neglected their duty to adequately store bodies to save money on operational costs. The court heard harrowing statements from the bereaved families of 13 individuals left in the care of Elkin and Bell. The bodies of two elderly men were discovered by High Court enforcement agents who were repossessing the premises due to unpaid rent and debts.
The body of 87-year-old William Mitchell showed obvious signs of decomposition after being left in the non-refrigerated mortuary room for 36 days. The room had water leaking through the roof, exacerbating the deterioration. Mr. Mitchell's family expressed feeling 'totally betrayed,' noting he had known Elkin and Bell before his death and would bring Bell sweets as a gesture of kindness.
Families' Heartbreaking Testimonies
Darren Williams, Mr. Mitchell's nephew, stated: 'He was a very kind-hearted man. He entrusted Elkin and Bell with his final wishes. They totally betrayed his kindness.' More than 40 other bodies stored at the funeral directors between June 28, 2022, and December 10, 2023, were not examined separately at hospitals, according to prosecutor Lesley Bates KC.
The trial revealed five other known cases of 'badly decomposed' bodies kept in the mortuary. Judge James Newton-Price KC noted the condition of the 40 unseen bodies remains 'unknown.'
Lasting Trauma for Bereaved Relatives
The family of Patricia Williams, known as Ann, received a call from the coroner about the lack of care she received. Her youngest son, Lee Williams, testified: 'I witnessed my mother's body in a state of decomposition. I saw it with my own eyes and smelt it in the air. This has meant that I have never and doubt I will ever grieve the loss of my mother.'
He described carrying her coffin while ice melted onto his hands and shoulders, mixed with the smell of decomposition. His brother, Jamie Williams, added he never knew a 'rogue funeral director' existed, highlighting how 'evil' and 'vile' Elkin and Bell are.
Corinne Boulton told the court Bell was a trusted friend of 23 years who cared for her son, Albie, who died 11 minutes after birth. She felt something was wrong when his casket was sealed shut, preventing her from holding her baby one last time. 'A mother's last right to hold her baby was forever taken away. Not to save me but to save Hayley from the mistreatment he had received,' she said.
Convictions and Sentencing
Elkin and Bell were found guilty of:
- Intentionally causing public nuisance between June 27, 2022, and December 11, 2023
- Preventing lawful burial of a body between November 3, 2023, and December 11, 2023
- Carrying on a business fraudulently between August 10, 2022, and December 11, 2023
Elkin was additionally convicted of forging a certificate of funeral directing and using it as a false certificate, and previously pleaded guilty to illegal possession of pepper spray.
Judge Newton-Price sentenced both to four years in prison for the main offence of public nuisance, with lesser concurrent sentences for other convictions. After sentencing, someone in the courtroom remarked: 'It's not enough.'
Calls for Industry Regulation
Andrew Eddy of the Crown Prosecution Service stated the sentence marks an 'important moment' as one of the first times funeral directors have been held criminally accountable for denying families a lawful and dignified burial. 'Richard Elkin and Hayley Bell abused their position of trust, stored bodies in degrading conditions, lied to grieving relatives, and continued trading when they knew they could not meet even basic obligations,' he said.
The Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management renewed its call for 'urgent' statutory regulation of the funeral sector. Chief executive Matthew Crawley emphasized: 'While we recognise that the vast majority of funeral professionals serve families with dignity, care and the highest level of professionalism every day, this case demonstrates the potential for profound harm when standards are not underpinned by statutory oversight and robust accountability mechanisms.'