Spain's World Cup-winning captain Rodri has completed his move to Barcelona, signing a four-year contract after the Catalan club agreed a €75m deal with Manchester City. The 30-year-old midfielder, who underwent a medical on Tuesday, becomes the natural successor to club legend Sergio Busquets, and his arrival was confirmed after a dramatic transfer saga that saw him fly into El Prat airport on a private jet on Monday evening.
Rodri's flight, a Pilatus PC-24, departed Manchester at 5.11pm, 101 minutes behind schedule, and landed at El Prat just before 8pm. It was the most tracked plane on the planet, with a small crowd gathering at the terminal to capture its arrival. The transfer had been agreed after Barcelona's third bid was accepted: €60m plus €15m in add-ons, of which €11m are virtually guaranteed. Rodri will earn around €15m a year, an increase on his salary at City, and has signed a deal until 30 June 2030.
Rodri's Emotional Farewell to Manchester City
In a message to City fans on the club's website, Rodri wrote: "I found that saying goodbye is one of the most difficult things in life but I am going to try. I knew I came into a top team but I never thought we could be able to create the legacy we made – winning trophies, fans around the world, love and respect." He added: "We made an example to inspire the next generations not only because the success, also because the way we did it. And the fans were with us every step of the way. City didn't just make me grow as a player. They made me grow as a human ... Manchester shaped my whole life. It's time to say goodbye, thanks to the club, the fans, the staff and my teammates. This journey couldn't be the same without you, my heart will always be blue."
Rodri spent seven seasons at the Etihad Stadium, winning the Premier League four times and scoring the winner in the 2023 Champions League final against Internazionale. The 2024 Ballon d'Or winner joined from Atlético Madrid in July 2019 and was in the final year of his contract. He was named the best player of the World Cup after Spain's triumph this summer.
Transfer Saga and Real Madrid's Miss
The transfer was not straightforward. Barcelona saw an initial £40m offer and an increased bid turned down before an agreement was struck on Sunday. Rodri had been open about his willingness to return to Spain, and Real Madrid had been confident of signing him, with one headline summing up the expectation: "Rodri is next". However, doubts about Real's commitment grew, and Barcelona seized the opportunity. On the day Real announced Vinícius Júnior's contract renewal and the signing of Yan Diomande, they briefed that Rodri wasn't coming after all, leaving a huge hole in their midfield.
Rodri told reporters on arrival: "Playing for Barcelona is a dream come true for me." He added: "I'm happy to be here." The move was hailed by former Real Madrid director Jorge Valdano, who said: "Rodri's deal is worth €35m for what it gives Barcelona and €40m for what it takes away from Madrid. At Real Madrid he would have revolutionised their play and improved everything."
Impact on Barcelona and City's Rebuild
Rodri is seen as the perfect fit for Barcelona, embodying a style that is theirs too. He has long been compared to Busquets, and he said: "I always try to learn from Busquets. I watched him especially closely: he, and others, lay down a model of playing I knew I had to follow." Spain coach Luis de la Fuente called him a "perfect computer". His arrival brings together arguably the best two midfielders in the world alongside Pedri, and his leadership is expected to guide Barcelona's young players.
For Manchester City, the new manager Enzo Maresca faces a race to rebuild his midfield. Rodri joins Bernardo Silva in departing, Tijjani Reijnders is poised to join Saudi Pro League side Al Qadsiah, and Newcastle are reportedly interested in Nico González. City have signed Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest for £116m and have been linked with Lille's Ayyoub Bouaddi and Chelsea's Enzo Fernandez.



