The four Grand Slam tournaments have established a new player advisory council in a bid to resolve the escalating dispute over prize money, with the US Open set to begin next week. The move comes after months of tension between players and tournament organizers regarding the allocation of revenue.
Details of the Player Advisory Council
The council will consist of six current players, including three men and three women, who will represent the interests of their peers in discussions with Grand Slam officials. The initiative was announced jointly by the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open, according to a statement released on Thursday.
“The Grand Slam tournaments are committed to ensuring that players have a meaningful voice in the decisions that affect their livelihoods,” the statement said. “The player advisory council will provide a formal channel for dialogue on prize money, scheduling, and other key issues.”
The council will meet twice a year, with the first meeting scheduled for October during the ATP and WTA Finals. The members will be selected by the Grand Slam Board in consultation with the ATP and WTA tours, the statement added.
Background to the Prize Money Row
The dispute over prize money has been simmering for years, with players arguing that the share of revenue they receive from Grand Slams is insufficient. The issue came to a head earlier this year when several top players threatened to boycott tournaments if their demands were not met.
According to the source, the US Open, which begins on August 26, offers a total prize fund of $65 million, up from $60 million in 2023. However, players have criticized the distribution, noting that the gap between winners and early-round losers has widened. For example, the men’s and women’s singles champions will each receive $3.6 million, while first-round losers will earn $75,000, up from $60,000 last year.
“The increase in prize money is welcome, but it does not address the fundamental issue of fairness,” said a player representative quoted in the statement. “The Grand Slams generate billions of dollars in revenue, and the players deserve a larger share.”
Impact and Next Steps
The formation of the player advisory council is seen as a significant step toward resolving the dispute, but it remains to be seen whether it will satisfy the players’ demands. The council will have the authority to make recommendations to the Grand Slam Board, but the final decisions on prize money and other matters will remain with the tournaments.
The US Open is expected to proceed without any disruptions, as players have agreed to participate while the council works on a long-term solution. The next Grand Slam after the US Open is the Australian Open in January 2027, which will be the first test of the new council’s effectiveness.



