Labour Minister Faces Dismissal Calls Over False Russian Links Claims
Minister Faces Calls to Be Sacked Over False Journalist Claims

Labour Minister Faces Dismissal Demands Over False Russian Intelligence Claims

Cabinet Office minister Josh Simons is facing escalating demands for his dismissal following revelations that he falsely linked journalists to Russian intelligence networks in official communications with Britain's cybersecurity agency.

Cross-Party Condemnation of Minister's Actions

Politicians from multiple parties have called for Simons' removal after a Guardian investigation exposed his unfounded accusations against journalists. The controversy centers on emails sent in early 2024 to the National Cyber Security Centre, a division of GCHQ, in which Simons pressed officials to investigate journalists he claimed were connected to "pro-Kremlin propaganda networks."

Conservative Party chair Kevin Hollinrake declared that Simons should be immediately suspended from office, stating emphatically: "The Cabinet Office cannot be left to mark its own homework." Hollinrake emphasized the particular seriousness of the situation given Simons' ministerial responsibilities for government inquiries and whistleblowing procedures.

Comparisons to Historical Political Scandals

Labour backbencher Jon Trickett delivered a particularly scathing assessment, calling for Prime Minister Keir Starmer to dismiss Simons. "This reprehensible behaviour is reminiscent of the dirty tricks that were used by Richard Nixon's White House during the Watergate scandal," Trickett stated. "It represents serious misconduct that cannot be tolerated in government."

Liberal Democrats' Cabinet Office spokesperson Lisa Smart added to the criticism, noting: "We were told this government would be cleaner than clean. Instead, we're stuck with cabinet ministers whose previous spin tactics literally involved reporting journalists to the intelligence agencies."

The False Accusations and Their Origins

The controversy stems from Simons' actions while leading the Labour Together thinktank in 2024. Emails obtained by the Guardian show that Simons and a subordinate contacted NCSC officials claiming journalists had obtained information about Labour Together's undisclosed political donations through Russian hacking operations.

Specifically, Simons told security officials that one journalist was "living with" the daughter of a former Jeremy Corbyn adviser whom he claimed was "suspected of links to Russian intelligence." These accusations were made in an attempt to prompt an investigation into the sourcing of a Sunday Times story about Labour Together's failure to disclose £730,000 in political donations.

Evidence Contradicts Minister's Claims

Despite Simons' assertions, the information in question was not obtained through any hack. Freelance journalist Paul Holden, who provided documents for the original Sunday Times report, recently showed the Guardian his source materials, which clearly indicate the story was based on files leaked from the Labour party by whistleblowers.

Furthermore, at the time of Simons' correspondence with NCSC, cybersecurity officials had already determined that any hack of the Electoral Commission had been conducted by China, not Russia, and involved electoral records rather than regulatory correspondence about Labour Together.

McCarthyite Smear Campaign Allegations

Individuals named in Labour Together's emails to NCSC have strongly condemned Simons' actions. One accused the minister of orchestrating a "McCarthyite smear" campaign, while another described the false accusations as "disturbing, creepy and deplorable."

The controversy adds to existing pressure on Simons, who is already subject to a departmental ethics inquiry. His actions have raised serious questions about the appropriate use of government security resources and the treatment of journalists investigating political matters.

A spokesperson for Josh Simons maintained: "Labour Together commissioned Apco to investigate the information Paul Holden obtained for his book, as has repeatedly been made clear." However, this defense has done little to quell the growing political storm surrounding the minister's conduct.