Trevor Nelson, the BBC Radio 2 DJ, has revealed that he underwent surgery after being diagnosed with a brain tumour and is now on the mend. The 62-year-old broadcaster, who stepped back from work commitments in June, shared the news in a video message on Thursday, stating that his “world was turned upside down” by the discovery.
Diagnosis and surgery details
Nelson said he was “minding my own business” when the tumour was found. “It was discovered that I had a brain tumour. My world was turned upside down. It was a shock to myself, my close family, and friends. My head was all over the place,” he said. He underwent surgery a few weeks after the diagnosis, which he described as going “incredibly well”. The last month has been spent “at home recuperating, resting, recovering, and getting some post-op treatment”.
According to the Brain Tumour Charity, about 13,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with a primary brain tumour every year. Nelson noted that there had been “a lot of speculation” about his health following his initial June announcement, but he chose not to go into full detail now, promising to “deep-dive into it at a later date so you can hear the whole crazy story”.
Recovery and return to work
Nelson expressed that he is feeling “almost back to myself” and “raring to go”. He added: “I’ve had a really serious situation, but I’ve come out the other side at this point and I feel great. I feel raring to go, and I feel in good health.” He hopes to return to work soon, though no specific date has been confirmed.
Before his break, Nelson presented weekdays from 2pm to 4pm on Radio 2 and BBC Radio 1Xtra each Sunday from 11am to 1pm. He has spent a 30-year career at the BBC championing Black British music and previously worked for Kiss FM, Radio 1, and MTV.



