Colbert Accuses Trump Administration of Censorship After CBS Cancels Interview
Late-night host Stephen Colbert has publicly accused the Trump administration of engaging in censorship after CBS abruptly pulled his scheduled interview with Texas Democrat James Talarico from Monday's broadcast. Colbert told his audience that network lawyers explicitly prohibited him from discussing the decision to cancel the segment, which he attributed to pressure from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
Network Lawyers Bar Discussion of Cancelled Segment
During his show, Colbert revealed that CBS attorneys instructed him not to address the network's refusal to air the interview with Talarico, a Texas state representative who is seeking the Democratic nomination to challenge Republican incumbent John Cornyn for a Senate seat in November. "Because my network clearly doesn't want us to talk about this, let's talk about this," Colbert declared, asserting that CBS was preemptively complying with what he called "guidance" from FCC chair Brendan Carr.
The FCC has recently intensified enforcement of the equal time rule, which requires broadcasters to provide comparable airtime to all candidates in a political race. Colbert argued that this move specifically targets critics of President Trump. "Let's just call this what it is. Donald Trump's administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV," he stated emphatically.
Interview Moves to YouTube Amid Media Crackdown
Despite the cancellation on CBS, the interview with Talarico proceeded and was subsequently posted to Colbert's YouTube channel. This incident occurs against a backdrop of heightened scrutiny over media freedoms under the Trump administration. Recent weeks have witnessed an FBI raid on a Washington Post reporter's home and the arrest of independent journalist Don Lemon during immigration protest coverage in Minnesota.
Colbert's popular show is set to conclude in May following its cancellation by CBS. The network is now under the control of new owner David Ellison, a Trump ally whose influence has raised significant concerns about CBS's editorial independence. Earlier this month, the FCC launched an investigation into ABC's The View for a potential violation of the equal time rule after the program interviewed Talarico on February 2.
FCC Policy Shift and Political Implications
Traditionally, the FCC has recognized a bona fide exemption for news interviews from equal time requirements. However, in January, Chair Carr announced that the commission would no longer extend this exemption to talk shows, emphasizing that "broadcast television stations have an obligation to operate in the public interest – not in any narrow partisan, political interest."
Colbert strongly contested this interpretation, telling his audience, "Sir, you're chair of the FCC, so FCC you. I think you are motivated by partisan purposes yourself." In the online interview, Talarico suggested that the FCC's intervention was driven by Trump's declining popularity ratings and CBS's alleged deference to the Republican administration. The network previously paid Trump a $16 million defamation settlement in July.
"I think that Donald Trump is worried that we're about to flip Texas," Talarico remarked. "This is the party that ran against cancel culture, and now they're trying to control what we watch, what we say, what we read. Corporate media executives are selling out the first amendment to curry favor with corrupt politicians."
Talarico is currently engaged in a competitive primary race against fellow Texas representative Jasmine Crockett for the Democratic nomination to oppose Cornyn in the November 3 election.