Maldives Diving Instructor 'Intentionally Swam Away' from Cave Where Six Died
Maldives Diving Instructor 'Intentionally Swam Away' from Cave

A Maldives cave diving instructor may have 'intentionally swam away' from a tourist group, leaving them to die in a 'pitch black cave,' according to a local diving veteran. The incident has claimed six lives, including five Italian researchers and a Maldivian military rescue diver.

Deadly Dive in Devana Kandu Cave System

The tragedy unfolded last week when a group of Italian researchers embarked on a dive into the 160-foot-deep 'shark cave' within the Devana Kandu cave system. The victims include ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and marine biologist Federico Gualtieri. Their bodies were discovered yesterday. Diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, whose body was found last week, is also among the deceased.

Two of the bodies have been brought to the surface, with the remaining two expected to be recovered tomorrow in what authorities describe as a 'technically complex operation.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Rescue Mission Turns Fatal

Maldivian military rescue diver Mohamed Mahudhee died from decompression illness on Saturday during a recovery mission, bringing the total death toll to six.

Research Trip Without Proper Permit

The group was conducting research on soft corals on Thursday morning when they perished at around 160 feet deep. They launched the expedition from the Duke of York yacht, which did not have a permit allowing dives beyond 100 feet.

Monica's husband and Giorgia's father, Carlo Sommacal, told Italian media that his wife 'was one of the best divers in the world' and would never have put their daughter at risk. He noted she had completed approximately 5,000 dives and was 'never reckless.'

Instructor Accused of Abandoning Group

Shafraz Naeem, a Maldivian diving veteran who has explored the Devana Kandu cave system over 30 times, believes 'rules were broken' during the dive. He explained that light only reaches the first chamber, and beyond it, the cave is pitch black. Naeem told the Daily Mail: 'It is incredibly dangerous to conduct dives at these depths on compressed air. Maybe he legged it up before he ran out of air. The rest of the group died in that third chamber and Benedetti died in the passageway trying to get out.'

Gianluca's body was the first recovered, found near the mouth of the Thinwana Kandu cave. The other bodies lie much deeper in the cave system.

Tour Operator Denies Knowledge

The Italian tour operator that managed the diving trip has denied authorizing or knowing about the group's deep dive, which exceeded local limits, its lawyer told Italian publication Corriere della Sera.

An investigation is now underway to establish the exact cause of death.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration