Chelsea have sent a clear message to Manchester City that they hold all the power over Enzo Fernandez's future and would be happy to keep the midfielder, according to transfer insider Fabrizio Romano. Romano expects City to try again for the Argentina international before the transfer window closes on September 1.
City's Persistent Pursuit
Manchester City are not giving up on Fernandez even after Chelsea's deadline for bids passed last Friday at 5pm, Romano said in a video on his YouTube channel. City boss Enzo Maresca has been actively pushing the club's hierarchy to secure a deal for the 25-year-old, having worked with him during his 18-month spell in charge at Stamford Bridge.
Romano explained that City know they now have to negotiate directly with Chelsea, as there is no longer a verbal agreement on the exit. He said: 'Manchester City are still thinking of Enzo Fernandez in midfield, Manchester City are not giving up for Enzo Fernandez even after the deadline. Manchester City know that they have to negotiate now, there is no longer a verbal agreement on the exit. So now it's Chelsea deciding, it's Chelsea evaluating the situation.'
Chelsea's Stance and Contract Details
Fernandez still has six years remaining on his current contract in west London. City already broke their transfer record by signing Elliot Anderson from Nottingham Forest for £116million last month, and a move for Fernandez – valued at £120m – would represent the fourth-biggest deal in football history.
Romano added: 'It's on Chelsea to decide the price but Manchester City are still there, Manchester City are still calling the agent of the player, Manchester City are still in contact. Manchester City lost the game against Arsenal and it's very clear that Manchester City need signings.'
City's Other Targets and Fernandez's Recent History
City remain in talks for Fernandez as well as 18-year-old Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, who has agreed personal terms over a move to the Etihad. Romano expects City to close on Bouaddi in the coming hours and to try again for Fernandez.
'I expect two things from Manchester City: close on Ayyoub Bouaddi. They have an agreement with Bouaddi on personal terms and they are expected also to advance the deal in the next hours. And then Enzo Fernandez. I expect City to try again, then we have to see what Chelsea will do and we have to see what the player will do. At the moment, Chelsea still send a very clear message: we are in control, we decide and we will be happy to keep Enzo.'
Fernandez first cast major doubt over his future when he publicly criticised Chelsea bosses over Maresca's departure at the back-end of last season, resulting in a two-match ban. The 2022 World Cup winner made his return for Chelsea against Real Sociedad on Saturday and was roundly booed by a large section of fans inside Stamford Bridge.
New Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso, speaking after his side's 3-1 victory in that friendly, said he was 'delighted' with the atmosphere and thanked supporters for the 'great reception'. He told the club's official website: 'It was emotional to feel my first time in the new home. A great reception from the supporters to the team and to the new staff, myself as well, so delighted. We want to create good connections and have that support. We want to give them good football so they will give us energy, and we connect. To have a good atmosphere here in the stadium will be a massive boost for the team.'



