Man dies in Met Police custody after becoming unwell in Croydon cell
Man dies in Met Police custody in Croydon cell

A 52-year-old man died in Metropolitan Police custody in Croydon this morning (Friday, August 21) after being found unresponsive in his cell. The man was pronounced dead at 1.17am at the Windmill Road custody centre, despite efforts by officers and paramedics to save him.

According to the Met Police, a cell check at approximately 12.30am found the man unresponsive. Officers immediately entered the cell to provide assistance and called 999. London Ambulance Service paramedics arrived and took over medical care, but the man could not be revived.

Arrest and custody details

The man had been arrested on Tuesday, August 19, at 1.05pm on a no-bail warrant issued by Croydon Magistrates' Court. The warrant was issued after he failed to appear in court on charges of being drunk and disorderly.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

While in custody, the man was seen by a healthcare professional and received welfare and observation checks, according to a Met Police spokesperson. The spokesperson said the man 'became unwell' before being found unresponsive.

IOPC investigation launched

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has been notified of the death and has launched an investigation. The man's name has not yet been released.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner James Harman said: “Our thoughts are with the man’s family and loved ones following his tragic death.

“The full circumstances of this death in custody will now be independently examined and we are providing our fullest support to that IOPC investigation.”

The IOPC investigation will examine the circumstances leading up to the man's death, including the care he received while in custody. The Met Police has said it is cooperating fully with the investigation.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration