Ollie Watkins has been left out of Aston Villa's squad for Sunday's match against Brighton, fueling speculation that the England international could be on the verge of leaving the club. The 30-year-old striker has been linked with a move to Saudi Arabian side Al-Hilal, and reports suggest he has expressed a desire to make the switch.
Birmingham Live report that no agreement has been reached for a transfer, and Villa remain keen to keep Watkins. However, transfer expert Ben Jacobs claims that Watkins has told the club he wants to move. Villa manager Unai Emery confirmed in his pre-match press conference that offers have been made and that the forward could depart before the transfer window closes.
Emery: 'We have an issue with him'
Speaking on Friday, Emery addressed the situation directly: 'We have an issue with him, it's clear. He is our player. We have had offers for him. I don't want to sell him but it can change because if it's a good option for him and the club and I can replace him in the squad, this is the routine we have and we did before with the players who are leaving.'
Emery praised Watkins as 'a fantastic striker' and said the club has 'always believed in him.' He added: 'Now he is our player, there are 10 days more or less to finish the transfer window, we will see what happens, I'm happy with him, if he is staying with us he will continue playing his level. If he is leaving it's because it is good for three ways, one is him, another is the club and another is the team.'
Villa's attacking options depleted
Without Watkins, Villa are starting without a recognised striker, as Tammy Abraham and Brian Madjo are both sidelined with injuries. New signing Joao Gomes is in the starting XI, alongside John McGinn, Emi Buendia, and teenager George Hemmings.
It has been a difficult summer for Aston Villa in the transfer market, despite their return to the Champions League after winning the Europa League last season. Key players have departed: Morgan Rogers to Chelsea, Ezri Konsa to Arsenal, Lucas Digne to Paris Saint-Germain, and Youri Tielemans to Manchester United.
Incomings include midfielder Johan Manzambi from Freiburg, left-back Matteo Ruggeri from Atletico Madrid, and goalkeeper Zion Suzuki from Parma. Manzambi misses the opening weekend with a knee problem, while Ruggeri and Suzuki are on the bench at Brighton.
Martinez also set to leave
Goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez is also not in the squad, with the Argentina international expected to leave before the transfer window closes. Emery explained that Martinez has made it clear he wants a new challenge.
'He transmitted to us the possibility to have another challenge in his career,' said Emery. 'Not now, even last year, he was thinking in case he can have one possibility to change and he didn't do last year, and he performed fantastic with us. This year again, he transmitted us the possibility to have another challenge, and we decided to sign Suzuki because I think he's a fantastic goalkeeper in case Martinez is leaving.'



