Tim Sherwood warns Man Utd over £65m Baleba transfer, prefers Adam Wharton
Sherwood warns Man Utd over £65m Baleba deal, wants Wharton

Tim Sherwood has warned Manchester United that their £65 million pursuit of Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba is 'not a game-changing signing' and believes the club should instead target Crystal Palace's Adam Wharton.

Sherwood questions Baleba's impact

Speaking to Sky Sports News, the former Premier League-winning captain expressed surprise that United had not moved earlier for the 22-year-old Cameroon international. 'I'm a Baleba! I think he's very good. I'm a bit surprised they haven't done it earlier,' Sherwood said. 'If they're letting him go now he was obviously available at the beginning of the window, so just go and take him and bring him to Michael as quickly as possible.'

However, Sherwood tempered his praise by calling Baleba 'raw' and 'not the finished article'. He added: 'I'm not sure he's a game-changer signing, I wouldn't be that excited. I'm not falling off my chair if I'm a Man United fan about this signing.'

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Why Sherwood prefers Adam Wharton

Sherwood openly questioned why United had not pursued Crystal Palace's Adam Wharton, who has been a key figure in the Eagles' recent success, including winning player of the match in their Conference League final victory in May. 'I'm really surprised they haven't gone for Adam Wharton or any team hasn't gone for Adam Wharton. He would have been my choice. I like players who are a little bit more cultured,' Sherwood said.

Wharton, 22, was shockingly omitted from England's World Cup squad and is now reportedly valued at around £100 million, with Manchester City showing interest as a potential replacement for Rodri.

Baleba's transfer details and injury setback

According to reports on Wednesday, Manchester United submitted an offer worth up to £65 million for Baleba, having previously agreed personal terms with the player last summer only to be priced out of a move. Brighton's valuation has reportedly dropped after Baleba's form dipped last season, with the suggestion that transfer talk had become a distraction.

Michael Carrick has made signing three midfielders a priority this summer, with Baleba set to join Andrey Santos and Youri Tielemans at Old Trafford. However, Baleba will miss the start of the season due to an ankle injury.

Sherwood's final verdict on the signing

Sherwood acknowledged that Baleba could still develop under Carrick and Jonathan Woodgate. 'He's got a lot of developing to come, and the reason why his fee has gone down is because he was so poor last season. He's brought the fee down. But he's not a dud signing, that's for sure,' Sherwood said. 'They've got a lot of young players that are not finished articles. Tielemans is and Kobbie Mainoo is still developing, so it's another option for Carrick.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration