Neymar Apologizes to Santos Teen Teammate for Training Slap
Neymar Apologizes to Santos Teen for Training Slap

Brazilian football star Neymar has issued a public apology to his Santos teammate Robinho Júnior after slapping him during a training session earlier this week. The 34-year-old forward acknowledged that he had crossed the line and expressed regret for his actions.

Incident Details

According to Brazilian media reports, the altercation occurred on Sunday at Santos' CT Rei Pelé training complex. Neymar, Brazil's all-time leading scorer, reacted negatively after being dribbled past by the 18-year-old Robinho Jr during a drill. The confrontation escalated, leading to Neymar slapping his younger teammate.

Public Apology

Speaking to reporters after Santos' 1-1 draw against Recoleta in Paraguay on Tuesday, Neymar said: "If you want an apology in front of the press, here it is. I had already apologised to him and to his family. I crossed the line." The apology came after Santos announced they had opened an investigation into the incident.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Reconciliation on the Pitch

During the Copa Sudamericana match, Neymar scored Santos' goal and embraced Robinho Jr in celebration, signaling that the dispute was behind them. Neymar commented: "He's a boy I like very much, for whom I have a special affection. It happens in football; you argue with your friend, your brother."

Robinho Jr's Response

Robinho Jr confirmed the slap but stated that the matter was resolved. "Everything is resolved. It's a situation that upset me because he's been my idol since childhood ... I talked about it with my parents and I accept his apology," he said.

Background

Robinho Jr is the son of former Brazil international Robinho, who is currently serving a nine-year prison sentence in Brazil for a 2017 rape conviction in Italy. The 42-year-old ex-Real Madrid and Manchester City striker was a former teammate of Neymar at Santos.

Neymar, despite recurring injury problems, hopes to be called up by Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti for this summer's World Cup. He has not played for Brazil since October 2023. Ancelotti is expected to name his final squad on 18 May.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration